Camping in north Georgia area

Benji314

I'm looking for a place around Helen to go camping in late June or early July. I have to have a bath house at least for the wife. She doesn't do primitive camping. Plus how is the weather up there around that time of year. We will be in a tent. Just wondering if it will be too hot to actually sleep at night. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Duramax

I know of several places, but none with showers. However the ones I am talking about have bathrooms, just no showers.

KDarsey

Go to Unicoi State Park for starters.
Great Campground, clean restrooms with showers and about 6 or 7 miles from Helen.

Given the budget situation, I would check out any state sponsored camping closely before committing to it.

I remember camping at La Prades on Lake Burton. That was primitive camping with four walls and a roof.

Phoelix

Slept in a tent Sunday night about 30 miles north of Dahlonega...got cold around 1:00 am, had to get more covers....

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Go to Unicoi State Park for starters.
Great Campground, clean restrooms with showers and about 6 or 7 miles from Helen.

Great suggestion..........it is roughly 3 miles from the city limits to the lodge....... If your gonna go you need to hurry up and book it they have been slammed in the campground on the weekends............

http://www.gastateparks.org/info/unicoi/

hiawassee1

I live in Hiawassee, and truley love going to Moccasin Creek. Brian over there keeps it exceptionally clean. Its off 197 between helen and Clayton. It is typically very busy, so need to check fast. If you have kids it is a great place. Its on Lake Burton, they have a fish hatchery there, and also a couple little ponds for fishing(at least 1 catfish pond), and a nice playgroung, boat dock. They also have a stream that has trout. Just across the street, is a really nice hiking trail that leads back to a waterfall, real easy to walk, my six yr old can do it easily. Just a great place to camp. And it maybe a little warm, but not to bad 65 degrees at night, but plenty of shade.