Trout fishing, camping, & cell service?

bmhayes

Looking for recommendations for places to tent camp for the weekend do some trout fishing, and as bad as it sounds still have cell service. My wife and I have camped many times at the overflow creek campground in Rabun County and I have looked at Sarah's creek campground. Earlier in life it was great to get away from cell service, but with jobs and responsibilities now days we both need to be able to take a phone call or atleast return a phone call in a few hours and I would like to be able to do that without driving into town. Does anyone know of any other camping areas around Clayton that are very close to trout fishing but would also have service. We will have our 9 year old son with us as well. He loves fishing and camping but we have never combined the 2 for him. Just want to get away while still being "on call" for work. Not locked in to the Clayton area either. We have fished around Cleveland, Helen, Vogel, but not too much camping in those areas. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post. Thank you.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If you want decent trout fishing you'll probably have to compromise on cell service as in there won't be any.

basshappy

BANNED
@bmhayes as mentioned foe good trout fishing the trade off is no signal. But if OK fishing is acceptable then there are plenty of places offering stocker trout with signal.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
There's some decent first-come-first serve campsites along nimblewell creek off of hwy 52, east of amicalola falls. I can usually get a bar or two there, and DNR stocks it every other week or so. Also, there's a decent primitive campground on the Amicalola River at Lindsey Ford, on Amicalola Church road in Dawson Forest. I usually can get cell service there. Been about a year since I've been to either place.

Big7

The Oracle
Another vote for Cherokee.

Tight Lines

Will be difficult. You can typically get wifi near the cities/towns. Some of the campgrounds like Vogel have wifi I think. Starlink doesn't cover most of GA right now. WeBoost makes cellular boosters that you can attach to a car or RV. As others have said, if it's good fishing, it's normally non-existent cell service.

hawkeye123

Think I had a decent signal around Mocassin creek west of Clayton ..under 12 stream, Wildcat creek over there also good camping at both..downtown Helen Hooch..Smith Creek..camp at Unicoi

Dialer

I got a signal about halfway down the gravel road coming out of a Sarah’s creek….AT&T. Otherwise, gotta get really close to Clayton.

pjciii

Will be difficult. You can typically get wifi near the cities/towns. Some of the campgrounds like Vogel have wifi I think. Starlink doesn't cover most of GA right now. WeBoost makes cellular boosters that you can attach to a car or RV. As others have said, if it's good fishing, it's normally non-existent cell service.
Look at SPOT. They have different plans. It is Satellite.

Tight Lines

Look at SPOT. They have different plans. It is Satellite.
Yeah I've thought about something like that for off the grid safety. As I get older, I might think about it. A guy in our hunting club got his 2wd stuck last weekend after the minor rains we had, called me at 9:30 AM as he knew I was out there, and the voicemail popped in at 8:30 PM. He is disabled, so luckily he kept trying until he got someone. If he had relied on me, he'd have been there until way after dark...