Muzzleloader Cleaning?

Woods'nWater

Ok, so I got my first .50cal muzzleloader for this years hunting season. I need to know what type of cleaning kit to buy for it. Obviously I need a .50cal brush, but what type of solvent? Can I just use the same stuff that I use for my other guns? Any tips or suggestions on what to buy and what not to buy would be great!!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Traditional, or modern inline?

hawgrider1200

Solvent is not required, soap and hot water is all the solvent u need, for the woods when u are nt around soap and water a patch with windex will take out enough fouling for that follow up shot should u need it.
U will need a cleaning jag and some patches. ur jag should screw into the ramrod. For around the house I use a metal ramrod or fiberglass. My TC renegade has the wooden ramrod that I use in the field. I carry my cleaning jag and patches with me when i take to the field. If traditional like a percussion cap or flintlock u may need as the need arises, one nipple pick, one ball puller, one nipple wrench, a patch puller. Did I forget anything?
If it's inline get a breach plug wrench.

Last edited:

bevills1

Use Blackhorn 209 powder if it's an inline, and you may clean it the same as rifles using smokeless powder loads. All other black powder substitutes and black powder need to use soapy water for cleaning.

WTM45

Use Blackhorn 209 powder if it's an inline, and you may clean it the same as rifles using smokeless powder loads. All other black powder substitutes and black powder need to use soapy water for cleaning.

Yes! BH209 all the way!
Water (other than rain) gets no where near any of my muzzleloader rifles anymore.
Hoppes #9 is the magic elixir of life!

bighonkinjeep

Man in addition to a cleaning kit you need a bathtub. just make sure Mommas not around when you do it cause she might put a knot on your head if she sees it in her tub.;)
BHJ

hawgrider1200

I like to dry my barrel in the oven, puts me in the dog house every time. I like my doghouse though.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I just run a brush through it, then screw one of those fluffy things on my ramrod and slurp some hot water through it, run a few dry patches and a swab of bore butter through the barrel, and I'm good to go. Has worked well for many years and only takes a few minutes. One of the main things to be sure and keep clean is the nipple-I'll check mine every time I pop a cap.

R

redneckcamo

when I used pyrodex it was soapy water and swabbin it till clean ...

now I am using 777 in my percussion rifle and I swab it with hoppes ....pump very hot water thru it .....let it dry and then swab it with wonderlube for storage .......

kvistads

There must be as many home made concoctions to clean black powder firearms as Carter has liver pills. I've tried many and most bore cleaners will work fine. I like to use one part Simple Green to ten parts water. Run plenty of patches through until it no longer shows residue on them. No need for a brush - EVER! Lube with bore butter - can't go wrong with it.

olhippie

...A few drops of Dawn dish detergent in hot water swabs out a barrel with black powder,Pyrodex , or 777 residue (all water soluble powders). Use any good smokeless powder bore cleaning solvent for Black horn 209 powder in closed breech in-lines. Follow solvent patches with dry patches, and anoint the bore with "kroil" or "Break Free Collector" for storage protection.

Latest posts