Georgia rifle

MCW1984

Been looking at kit rifles lately, with most of the sites that sale them giving a little history on the design and area it was used in I have started to research what type of rifle would have been commonly used in georgia, any ideas? My research hasn't really lead me to any answers but if I'm gonna buy and build a rifle I'd like it to be correct for the area that I live and plan to use it.

White Horse

There is no simple answer to your question.

The answer depends on the time period and specific area of Georgia. In colonial times early rifles similar to the Jaeger would have been around, along with smooth bore fowlers.

In a later period, 1800 or so, there was a Moravian mission near to the Vann House. The Moravians were great craftsmen, and rifles in a distinctive style were part of their output.

Columbus had several gunsmiths in the 1850’s. The Columbus Museum has a number of originals.

There is an excellent book “Early Gunsmiths of Georgia.” The book is probably going to be hard to find and pricey, but it’s where I would start.

Keep us posted on what you find.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Are you wanting a smoothbore or a rifle? Flintlock or percussion?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Time period you desire will help make that decision. Early guns would be the Brown Bess. Carolina guns were supplied for trade early on also. These along with the long rifles were commonly used before 1800. I’d look for a smooth bore flintlock for that time period. After 1820’s cap locks start to show up and the choice of guns also is more varied.

Darkhorse

I could only find reference to two (2) gunbuilders from Georgia. One of them had a small writeup, Wiley G. Higgens, he built the recently discovered Gamecock rifle around 1820.

My opinion is a Georgia rifle is likely a Longrifle of sorts, long barrel, full stock, with a drooping buttstock. It mostly resembles a southern mountain longrifle.
You will not find a kit for a true Georgia rifle. I have looked and found nothing. Most likely the reason is not enough were built that others would recognize.
If I were to build one it would be a longrifle with a straight barrel. Mostly plain with minimum carving. You could simply say it's a Georgia rifle because nobody will know any better.

wiley

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Been looking at kit rifles lately, with most of the sites that sale them giving a little history on the design and area it was used in I have started to research what type of rifle would have been commonly used in georgia, any ideas? My research hasn't really lead me to any answers but if I'm gonna buy and build a rifle I'd like it to be correct for the area that I live and plan to use it.
Some good answers above. You might do some research into the times of James Edward Oglethorpe and the people who landed at Yamacraw Bluff. The weapons common in their areas of England would be a starting point.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I believe @Darkhorse is on the money here. There were few rifle makers in Georgia prior to the Late War of Northern Aggression. Several makers made military style muskets for that affair. I have found a picture of a copy of one of those Wiley Higgins rifles made by Ed Perry of Black Heart Long Arms. That fellow has made some beautiful rifles.

I also found that back in Dec 2017 the GA Museum of Art at UGA put together an exhibition:
Artful Instruments: Georgia Gunsmiths and Their Craft

It was done as a study of the artistic nature of the craft but it would have shown at least some of the rifles. The link below is to a description of the exhibition and has one picture of a GA rifle. It also says that there was a Higgins rile in that exhibition.
Too bad that you missed it but -- There was a fully illustrated exhibition catalogue published by the museum for that eshibit but it is now out of print. I don't know how many rifle pictures were in it but a copy can be had on Amazon for a mere $75.

Good luck with your quest and keep us posted on your progress.

White Horse

This book has hundreds of early Georgia gunsmiths and 30 pages of pictures of 18th-19th century firearms:

Elliot, Wayne T., and James B. Whisker. Gunsmiths and Allied Tradesmen of Georgia.

Kindig’s Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in Its Golden Age features a Higgins rifle from Georgia. The rifle itself is in the Frazer Gun Museum in Louisville. A pistol thought to be a Higgins is at The Hermitage.

MCW1984

Sorry to everyone for my delayed reply, thank you to all for the thoughts and knowledge shared. Quick back story that has led me to looking for said rifle. 1999 I was gifted a cva Hawken type rifle (super cheap one, synthetic stock and all) for my 15th birthday by my grandmother. In the few years following I killed a half dozen or so deer with it and had a blast doing so, I then purchased an inline with a scope and have had several of those over the years and all have shot well and done everything I have wanted them to, but the memories made with inlines don't stick in my mind like the early ones made with the sidelock so I am wanting to get another one and would like to go a different route than a standard Hawkins kit such as traditions.
Nicodemus, I want to go with a percussion rifle of at least 45 caliber for now then maybe in a few years a flintlock of some sort, probably a 62 smoothbore.

Last edited:

FFg

Late to the party as usual, but...

Just found this post. Excellent topic and information. I've always been interested in the guns, powder horns, pouches, etc. of Georgia.

Thanks for posting guys!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would guess that at least in the northern half of the state, poor-boy iron-mounted southern mountain rifles would have been common.

rosewood

If you intend on hunting or any type of target shooting, be sure to pick something from the era of rifled barrels. Those smooth bore muskets are a gamble at where they will hit. Rifling was a game changer in accuracy of firearms.

Rosewood