Why is a modern muzzleloader more challenging than modern rifle and cartridge, center-fire?

LovinOutside

I can understand if it is a replica or the real antique, a flintlock or percussion. But I don't know enough about modern muzzleloader rifles to know why they are more challenging to use than their modern cartridge rifle counterparts.

I'd like to use a muzzleloader only because it is interesting, but when I watch someone shoot a new one I don't know why I wouldn't buy a regular rifle instead. Like I said though, the old timey guns look interesting and seem to be more of a challenge.

I have not shot any black powder gun before. I'm sorry if it's been talked to death.

Edit: Fixed first sentence.

TJay

It isn't much different from a modern centerfire rifle. Back in the day it was percussion and flintlock rifles with iron sights and a whole different ball game. Then in-lines showed up and shortly thereafter there was a pretty good contingent of Georgia hunters that wanted to legalize scopes on muzzleloaders and the rest is history. I was dead set against it at the time but it happened anyway.

LovinOutside

I think you get to hunt earlier with it. Maybe that is part of the appeal. I actually have access to a flintlock. Never thought about any of it until recently.

LovinOutside

It isn't much different from a modern centerfire rifle. Back in the day it was percussion and flintlock rifles with iron sights and a whole different ball game. Then in-lines showed up and shortly thereafter there was a pretty good contingent of Georgia hunters that wanted to legalize scopes on muzzleloaders and the rest is history. I was dead set against it at the time but it happened anyway.
I can see why you'd be against it. I think I would have been too. Defeats the whole point of primitive hunting I think. But, I really don't know what I'm talking about to begin with.

edit: funny, https://forum.gon.com/threads/is-this-what-muzzleloading-has-come-to.1000664/

edit: You know. I think you started something in me. I think there should be a law against the modern ones for primitive hunting. Use them in regular season. I'm ranting. I know that'll make someone mad. Especially, some guy that asked a beginner question. I really don't like all the laws we have though. Dang. Catch-22. More government or less? A quandry!

Last edited:

kingfish

I've hunted with two beautiful Hawkens and a Renegade, all with iron sites. Killed some deer with them too. As the sport evolved and the rules, so did I. I now use a 28 year old Remington with a scope. Still a muzzleloader. I have to do everything to it that I had to do with the other 3. Scope helps with accuracy, and ability to see. None of my BP harvests with that gun have been over 40 yds just like the other 3. Kind of a push.

Big7

The Oracle
It's cheating having a special season.

There are ML's that can shoot 250 and possibly 300 yards.

In Georgia, that's pretty long range.

Wish the season started the same day for everyone, and go by the bag limit, not the weapon.

Last edited:

weagle

I shoot a scoped CVA Wolf 50 cal and there is nothing primitive about it. Gives me an extra week of rifle season and an early week of doe days.

It is no more challenging than my scoped centerfire rifles, other than I keep the shots inside 150 yds and its slower (30 seconds) to reload.

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Never underestimate a man who has good eyes, and a well made plains percussion rifle or flintlock longrifle. He just might surprise you, even at ranges well in excess of 100 yards.

There`s a lot of difference between them and a Brown Bess musket. Some of those redcoats didn`t live long enough to relay the message about those longrifles and how far they were accurate.

LovinOutside

I've hunted with two beautiful Hawkens and a Renegade, all with iron sites. Killed some deer with them too. As the sport evolved and the rules, so did I. I now use a 28 year old Remington with a scope. Still a muzzleloader. I have to do everything to it that I had to do with the other 3. Scope helps with accuracy, and ability to see. None of my BP harvests with that gun have been over 40 yds just like the other 3. Kind of a push.
It that inline or is it an old timey kind?

LovinOutside

I shoot a scoped CVA Wolf 50 cal and there is nothing primitive about it. Gives me an extra week of rifle season and an early week of doe days.

It is no more challenging than my scoped centerfire rifles, other than I keep the shots inside 150 yds and its slower (30 seconds) to reload.
Isn't that what some are saying though? It's no different, just a way to hunt early.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
We only have a "primitive weapons" season because enough hunters pressured the state to create it. After the season was created there was a lot of pressure to allow scopes. This season really has no biological relevance to deer harvest compared to other weapon types.

LovinOutside

We only have a "primitive weapons" season because enough hunters pressured the state to create it. After the season was created there was a lot of pressure to allow scopes. This season really has no biological relevance to deer harvest compared to other weapon types.
So it doesn't really kill too many deer or something to deplete the population for anyone else?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
If season came in for all weapons at the same time there wouldn’t be very many bow hunters or muzzleloader hunters around anymore.
The lobbyist for the manufacturing industry would fight a one season for any type of weapon as the market for bows and in lines would crash.