Is this what muzzleloading has come to?

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Found this pic looking for something last night.

I have two inlines. I can't recall when/where I got the second one. Since it has a scope I must have bought it for my daughter. She killed two bucks with it on opening day when she was 11.

ML2img059.jpg

A better shot of the rotating barrel O/U. Sights on both barrels.
ML7img065.jpg

lampern

Has the deer herd been negatively affected by ML hunts?

Yes, in some states and some areas, including the national forests of Georgia

You go to parts of Kentucky and they restrict what you can kill during muzzleloading deer season

Some deer managers are recognizing muzzleloader season as no different than "gun" season.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
So, how many deer were killed by muzzleloaders on National Forests in GA during primative weapons season?

lampern

So, how many deer were killed by muzzleloaders on National Forests in GA during primative weapons season?

Good question but the DNR shut down all either-sex muzzleloading hunting on the large chunk of the national forest.

Bucks only hunting with the muzzleloader.

Mark R

i got a breech loading centerfire single shot rifle . Might as well make it legal for primitive weapon season . be OK with me . Or just open season at the same time and use whatever ya want too and be happy .

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
i got a breech loading centerfire single shot rifle . Might as well make it legal for primitive weapon season . be OK with me . Or just open season at the same time and use whatever ya want too and be happy .

What kind is it?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Might as well include bows in this too.
Huge difference in a long bow, wooden arrows & flint arrowheads vs a compound bow/arrows or better yet, today's cross bows/bolts.
It doesn't bother me. To each his own.
“That’s different”

pacecars

What we need is several seasons:
Primitive muzzleloader season
Inline muzzleloader season
Breech loading season (bp or substitute, loose or paper cartridges)
Single shot BPCR season
Single shot modern rifle season
Lever action season
Etc, etc

Won’t even get into archery

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
What we need is several seasons:
Primitive muzzleloader season
Inline muzzleloader season
Breech loading season (bp or substitute, loose or paper cartridges)
Single shot BPCR season
Single shot modern rifle season
Lever action season
Etc, etc

Won’t even get into archery
And the ONLY thing you can use that “season” is the legal definition of what constitutes each of those. No archery all season either.

Actually I don't think there's any good reason to separate seasons by weapon type; it seems arbitrary and silly to me. The state should define what is a legal weapon, and the season begins in September and proceeds from there, everyone with a tag can have at it.

I'm not a wildlife manager tho, and if I were, and knew the job, my answer might be different.

pacecars

Florida has changed the rules this year that rifles that load from the breech may be used in “Muzzleloader” season. I guess they need to change the name

Darkhorse

I kinda wish they would do away with muzzle loader season altogether. I seldom hunt the ML season, still too hot and buggy. I hunt with a flintlock 95% or more of the regular gun season. I hunt for bucks mostly and the best time is during the rut not the middle of october or whenever the ML season is nowadays.
I'm comfortable hunting with my flintlocks with primitive open sights during the prime hunting days. As in all hunting, you miss some, you hit some. Mostly I hit them because without a scope they must be closer so it's seldom I'll risk a bad shot.
But I like my centerfires also. So if I want to hunt with a scoped rifle I'll just grab one from the safe.
The situation often dictates which type I'll hunt with. I try to setup so my shots will be under 100 yards preferably 50 and under, prime distance with a flinter. But sometimes the shot will be much longer and with thicker underbrush to slip a bullet through. That's when the centerfires get their chance.
Nowhere in my Georgia deer hunting do I see a use for a scoped ML.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I kinda wish they would do away with muzzle loader season altogether. I seldom hunt the ML season, still too hot and buggy. I hunt with a flintlock 95% or more of the regular gun season. I hunt for bucks mostly and the best time is during the rut not the middle of october or whenever the ML season is nowadays.
I'm comfortable hunting with my flintlocks with primitive open sights during the prime hunting days. As in all hunting, you miss some, you hit some. Mostly I hit them because without a scope they must be closer so it's seldom I'll risk a bad shot.
But I like my centerfires also. So if I want to hunt with a scoped rifle I'll just grab one from the safe.
The situation often dictates which type I'll hunt with. I try to setup so my shots will be under 100 yards preferably 50 and under, prime distance with a flinter. But sometimes the shot will be much longer and with thicker underbrush to slip a bullet through. That's when the centerfires get their chance.
Nowhere in my Georgia deer hunting do I see a use for a scoped ML.
That’s just like your opinion, man.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Actually I don't think there's any good reason to separate seasons by weapon type; it seems arbitrary and silly to me. The state should define what is a legal weapon, and the season begins in September and proceeds from there, everyone with a tag can have at it.

I'm not a wildlife manager tho, and if I were, and knew the job, my answer might be different.
I do. The original idea of primitive weapons seasons was for people who hunted with primitive weapons. Now the man bun fellers have got it so that primitive weapons include modern weapons so they can hunt too. I agree that it doesn’t make much sense any more if you can hunt with modern weapons in the primitive weapons season.

Darkhorse

That’s just like your opinion, man.
I'm not sure how to take your statement, could be taken a couple of ways.
But I know full well what the Muzzleloading season was supposed to be. Around 1979 I signed a petition asking the state to give us a season. I believe that was signed at the winter rondevous of The Cherokee County Barkbusters. I was asked to, and did, take a petition home and gathered many signatures.
That sorta puts me in the game early on I guess.
What we have now is not what was invisioned back then.
Of course there have been technological breakthroughs we couldn't have even dreamed of since then that have impacted the entire ML hunting process greatly. If we had known what was coming perhaps we'd have taken a different course.
But for those who stand on the other side of the fence, don't worry about anything we say, us old geezers will soon be gone under never to bother you again.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure how to take your statement, could be taken a couple of ways.
But I know full well what the Muzzleloading season was supposed to be. Around 1979 I signed a petition asking the state to give us a season. I believe that was signed at the winter rondevous of The Cherokee County Barkbusters. I was asked to, and did, take a petition home and gathered many signatures.
That sorta puts me in the game early on I guess.
What we have now is not what was invisioned back then.
Of course there have been technological breakthroughs we couldn't have even dreamed of since then that have impacted the entire ML hunting process greatly. If we had known what was coming perhaps we'd have taken a different course.
But for those who stand on the other side of the fence, don't worry about anything we say, us old geezers will soon be gone under never to bother you again.
Here’s how to take my statement: I like having a muzzleloader season. Here, it’s in early October, which is the perfect time to be in the woods. Frosty mornings, warm days, colorful leaves, deer on an acorn pattern. And most importantly, public land isn’t infested with thousands of punkin- suit rifle hunters. I ml hunt in rifle season too pretty often, but it just isn’t the same at all.