Formica TLC

krizia829

Got old kitchen cabinets that can use some TLC. They're formica and I'm known to mess up or break things and it drives me nuts to see it look the way that it does lol

I've been wanting to either paint it, or buy the peel and stick stuff to make it look nice.

Any specific type of paint is needed if I go that route?

What about corners that have been chipped? If I go the peel and stick route, do I need to remove what's currently there and stick on top of the particleboard directly?

I like to do things right.. Any help is appreciated!!

sinclair1

I have done a few flips by having a company reskin the doors with the laminate and have also painted a personal home.

I would buy new doors if you plan on living there long term.

Here is a photo of our laminate doors that were in bad shape.
I had one reskinned and superglued all the edges down on the others. Then we called in a professional cabinet painter to give the the Tuscan treatment.

That Tuscan look is not the fad right now but there are other options other than just white.

We moved to a house with really nice wood cabinets that need some TLC.
Still debating what we will do, but it’s probably going to be a refinished and stain.IMG_3278.jpeg

Good luck

krizia829

I have done a few flips by having a company reskin the doors with the laminate and have also painted a personal home.

I had one reskinned and superglued all the edges down on the others. Then we called in a professional cabinet painter to give the the Tuscan treatment.

That Tuscan look is not the fad right now but there are other options other than just white.

Still debating what we will do, but it’s probably going to be a refinished and stain.View attachment 1283403

Good luck
Looks great!! I love a rustic look. I'm not into the whole modern thing. It's a rental home and not really sure how long we will be there but I would like for it to look nice while I'm there. I'm gonna give it a shot I think with the peel and stick stuff first and see how that plays out.

pjciii

Still debating what we will do, but it’s probably going to be a refinished and stain.View attachment 1283403

Good luck
Look very nice

jdgator

@krizia829 consider ordering some RTA cabinet orders. I do for my rentals every few years. You can completely change the look of the kitchen and bathroom for a fraction of the price of cabinetry and only a little more than professional painting.

hopper

We use to paint them in apartments with a flat 2k urethane and and an hvlp. Problem is it would be pricey for a one-time thing. We would spray them in 100 units at a time.
At my house we used chalk paint to redo our wood cabinets. The Chalk paint dries fast and can be 300-400 grit sanded between coats. Last coat we did 600-1000 and waterbased clear acrylic urethane. Chalk paint bonds well but you may want to bull eye or kill primer warebased 1st. For the chips you can fill with bondo spread on with a razor blade.
Prep the formica with an acetone wipe and 220 grit. Hers a pic of the chalk paint. Good luck whatever you do.
1000002215.jpg

normaldave

GON Weatherman
@krizia829 consider ordering some RTA cabinet orders. I do for my rentals every few years. You can completely change the look of the kitchen and bathroom for a fraction of the price of cabinetry and only a little more than professional painting.
In the process of this now for our ~30 year old Lowes mdf base cabinets. Very nice all wood kits. Roller bearing glides, soft close drawers, concealed hinges. Got a great price, even picked up at the nearest warehouse.

krizia829

We use to paint them in apartments with a flat 2k urethane and and an hvlp. Problem is it would be pricey for a one-time thing. We would spray them in 100 units at a time.
At my house we used chalk paint to redo our wood cabinets. The Chalk paint dries fast and can be 300-400 grit sanded between coats. Last coat we did 600-1000 and waterbased clear acrylic urethane. Chalk paint bonds well but you may want to bull eye or kill primer warebased 1st. For the chips you can fill with bondo spread on with a razor blade.
Prep the formica with an acetone wipe and 220 grit. Hers a pic of the chalk paint. Good luck whatever you do.
View attachment 1283473
Wow that looks great!!

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Big difference in the quality of the new JSI brand RTA cabinets vs our mdf box store specials. Now to get the floor leveled and tiled in our 1930's Era shotgun house...then assemble cabinets.
1000003301.jpg
1000003302.jpg
1000003299.jpg