WMA for Bear?

GusGus

Im new to bear hunting and me and a couple of buddies are planning a bear hunting trip for later on in Dec. Which WMA would you recommend? Im looking at Cohutta, Chestatee, and Blue Ridge, any others?. Thanks in advance.
--GusGus

ddd-shooter

Cohutta, Chattahoochee, Coopers. Maybe in that order...But if the weather turns cold, do not expect a lot of movement in December

Last edited:

GusGus

I'm not sure how late in dec you want to hunt but cohutta wma bear and deer last hunt is dec 2-6.

Thats the one I was planning on hitting if we went to Cohutta. I would love to go in Oct. But both of the guys that I am going with will be in Wyoming the week of that hunt.

drumbum77

Banned
I was scouting for hogs today at Chattahoochee and saw a two. I also heard one growl a couple of times at me. I did not stick around to find out where he was. One was in the top of a tree just off Poplar Stump Road near the sign in board. The other one I saw was near the north end of Trail Ridge. I heard that there were 32 bears killed last year in a three day period.

Good Luck!!!

mightykasey14

I have taken 1 up at lake burton before. If you know where to go there that would be a good bet. You might could try dawson forest as well

buck down

Cohutta is the best for bear by far in my opinion. I have hunted all of the above WMA's that were mentioned and Cohutta seems to have a much higher bear population.

hunt6x6elk1

Took my bear at Dawson Forest and have seen one other one there but have since moved to Cleveland and took pics of SEVERAL on Chattahoochee the 6 weeks prior to opening day. Late season will be bad unless it is really warm