why do you pull a bow back in a store

fatduckboy

Alright guys got a question for yall. Why do you go in to a pro shop and pull a bow back without asking anyone to pull it back.:huh: :huh: I work at a Pro Shop and Ihave guys come in a pull back 4 or 5 bows whenever they come in. I even have guiys come in and try to pull back bows that they can't even pull back. To make a long story short I had a guy come in and pull back my "MONSTER" and on the way down it sliped out of his hand and you know what happened.:banginghe :banginghe So i have to wait a couple of days to get new cams and a new string.:cry: It just makes me so mad that people do that.:mad: Yall might think different but thats just the way i feel. Let me know what yall feel.

killNgrill

obviously people draw bows to see what the draw feels like... drawing a bow without an arrow is never a good idea

basspro zip-ties their strings to keep folks from pulling them back... i think if people want to draw a bow without an arrow its probably best to use a "dummy" release

Hairtrigger

Because we dont know any differently. People who have shot for years know its a no no. Me, I just started and I am finding out that you shouldnt do it. Its like looking at a gun, you shoulder it to see how it feels. I know your not supposed to dry fire it so I make durn sure I dont let it go.

PS--I hate posting this because I am now "that guy"

rjcruiser

If you work in a pro-shop and you don't want people pulling back a bow....zip tie 'em.

If you don't want someone picking up your bow....don't leave it out.

badcompany

GONetwork Member/Father of 2 seeds
Put a sign up that states "If you dry fire any bow you bought it"

I am pretty sure that this store has the mentioned sign posted. So my question is, why are they not buying the bow?

Now, to answer the question posted. Like someone else stated, it is to feel how that specific bow feels. All bows have a different draw cycle. They feel different due to the different cam designs, limb configurations, etc. I would personally never buy a bow if I was not allowed to draw it back. I would really wish to shoot it if I haven't already from a friends bow or another shop prior to visiting this store.
If it was a store bow they would definatly be buyin the bow. I would never allow someone to just pick up my bow without my permission, and would never have it hanging up for the public to "play with."

Last edited:

alligood729

I am pretty sure that this store has the mentioned sign posted. So my question is, why are they not buying the bow?

Now, to answer the question posted. Like someone else stated, it is to feel how that specific bow feels. All bows have a different draw cycle. They feel different due to the different cam designs, limb configurations, etc. I would personally never buy a bow if I was not allowed to draw it back. I would really wish to shoot it if I haven't already from a friends bow or another shop prior to visiting this store.
If it was a store bow they would definatly be buyin the bow. I would never allow someone to just pick up my bow without my permission, and would never have it hanging up for the public to "play with."

Ah, you can't even draw a big boy bow back......:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Just like Scott says, most folks want to feel the draw cycle. At the shop, if someone starts to pull, we just politely ask that if they would like to shoot the bow, no problem, we'll be glad to get an arrow and let them shoot it on the range.
I'll never forget, about 20 yrs ago, I was in Dan Quillian's place in Athens. Picked up a new Mathews, started to draw it, which of course, I "knew what I was doing, done it hundreds of times".......got about half way back, and the string just rolled right off my fingers. Made a lot of noise, and the guy said, "I hope you just didn't buy a new bow!" His helper quickly said that the bow was only about 1/2 way back, they checked it out, and all was good. Now I never draw someone else's bow, or a store bow, without an arrow and permission!!!!!:biggrin2::biggrin2:

tsknmcn

zip ties are 3 cents each, so that's the way i would go. you can't keep your eye on everyone that picks up a bow. if someone wants to shoot one, cut the tie and let them have at it. put a new tie on and it's IDtenT proof once again.

XJfire75

Walked into Sportsman Warehouse, asked to look at a bow, looked it over felt the tension but didn't pull it back, the bow guy was really cool and said on you know you wanna shoot it!(I was in there talking about a Hoyt and had a Bowtech in my hands) He then perceeded to put a whisker biscuit on it and set it to my draw weight. He let me shoot it like 5 times til I had to go. He changed my mind and I think thts a very affective way to sell and protect their bows.

fatduckboy

thanks guys i have ties on them now and have had ties but i just put my monster up on the rack to get it out of the way and that was the first bow he went to so oh well.

short stop

I f some ''stranger'' walked into a bowshop and my equipment was there --and no matter the situation backed turned not paying attn etc . Reguardless if he / she --anyone picked up my bow and pulled it back without asking and dry fired it ....
They would be paying for it on the spot ...

My bow rig cost me nearly $1100 New --that aint chump change and you can bet Id be calling the cops and getting a police report on the scene ... no diff than an automoblie accident these days imo .. Hate to sound that way but thats how Id feel if some idiot did that in a bowshop to my equipment .

you break it ... you bought it ...

bownutz

Dan has never batted an eye when i have finger drawn his bows. But at the same time everyone knows how much i shoot 100 shot sessions @ 70+ pounds. If you can barely pull back your 65 pound bow keep your hands off other peoples stuff, better yet go try out a new tennis racket.

devolve

If you work in a pro-shop and you don't want people pulling back a bow....zip tie 'em..

doesn't help. first hand experience with this one. People still pull them back with zip ties on them standing right next to a sign that says not to. i don't get it........

head buster

doesn't help. first hand experience with this one. People still pull them back with zip ties on them standing right next to a sign that says not to. i don't get it........

I've seen this happen as well.

Still don't understand why this guy hasn't bought himself a new Monster:huh:
If this store has the signs up then why don't they stick to what they say?:huh:

BTW fatduckboy I didn't know you had a monster?

badcompany

GONetwork Member/Father of 2 seeds

yep. ive seen people pull with all their might against the wire-ties. after they about bust a vein they realize its on there:crazy:

bigrob82

Dan has never batted an eye when i have finger drawn his bows. But at the same time everyone knows how much i shoot 100 shot sessions @ 70+ pounds. If you can barely pull back your 65 pound bow keep your hands off other peoples stuff, better yet go try out a new tennis racket.

so you are saying just because you shoot 100 shot sessions it is ok for you to draw a bow without and arrow even if it's not your set up we all slip somtime or another just get a dummy release or two to keep on hand

kcausey

Banned
The problem is the folks that have no idea what they're doing. I get nervous drawing my own bow back in my living room without an arrow...i may have done this 2-3 times for different reasons. But guys that have never shot "new" compounds with unreal let-off get very suprised a lot of times. Chuck's has zip ties on their bows now, if someone's serious, the'll ask to shoot one. I did watch some moron in there the other day dry fire a gamo pellet rifle and acted like nothing happened.....he had on a Florida Gators hat and shirt.....i figured that one out pretty quick.

bownutz

so you are saying just because you shoot 100 shot sessions it is ok for you to draw a bow without and arrow even if it's not your set up we all slip somtime or another just get a dummy release or two to keep on hand

I can draw any bow left or right handed. But would never draw a bow arrowless with a release. Releases can fail. These hands won't. Period.