Finally called one in.

BOFF

The gentleman who lives on our place bought a game call last year and a fawn decoy this year. I believe he bought it more for me to use, as I've used it more than him.

Haven't had any results using it until tonight, besides calling crows. Decided an hour before dark (5:45) to go hunting. Borrowed his caller, decoy, and left. He wanted me to use some scent spray, but as sweaty, and dirty as I was from working today, I told him it was either going to happen or not.

Drove quietly within 100 yards of the field, and parked the truck. Walked up the hill, and walked out into the plowed field and placed the deer decoy to where it could be seen for 300 yards up a hilly road traveling north, and from 250 yards northwest, and 200 yards south. Bordering the fresh plowed field was the other half of the field with head high grass.

Got into the sauna (shooting house) and immediately let down 3 of the 4 windows, and pressed the fawn distress button on the caller. I believe I lost 10 pounds for the 10 minutes I was in the shooting house. :D I varied the volume, and within about 3 minutes I thought I saw a coyote in the middle of the road to the north about 275 yards away. I confirmed it was definitely moving and coming straight down the road to the field.

Then, another coyote joins in from the side, then another. I honestly don't know if there were more than 3 or not, as my attention turned to the first one who cut into the pines and sage grass by the field edge about 100 yards away.

I expected him to come into the field, but that never happened. I turned my attention back up the road, and either one of the three first coyotes came back into the road, or what I believe to be a totally different coyote, came into the road and traveled down it and cut into the pines. I never could see the coyotes in the tall sage grass until they were going back to the north with no good shot.

All while this was happening, I was turning the call off and on at different intervals. After it appeared the coyotes went back to the North, I continued the distress call, and looked back to the Northwest, and a coyote was looking towards the caller. It disappeared in the high grass going South, and then reappeared out of the grass to the North.

It came closer, traveling east on a road bordering the field, and then got nervous and looked as if it was fixing to go into the pines and sage to the north. Unfortunately it took one more look back broadside. :D

100_5408.jpg

Handgunner

There ya go! One less to worry about!

GunDog

WTG BOFF! Congrats on your first called coyote! Looks like ya made a fine shot on the mutt too! They say it gets easier to ya after them first few are out of the way..... :cool:

Dakotaman

Congrats... its a nice feeling to bag one isn't it! I was wondering if maybe you were calling too much. I have found that coyotes can home in on the sound very accurately from a mile or more away even if you never make another peep. I suspect that if you had stayed quiet, they might have come in... ususally they don't all come running in once anyway though... they take up positions to surround the prey and one will come in to pounce or chase it into the ambush. You did well getting one of them though cause that is usually all you will get under those tall grass conditions even if ten of them were there when you shot.