Camp Callers

blindhog

Are the ones made when he was still alive gonna be collectors items?

I just bought two of his calls that were in a pawn shop for about ten years.
I got them both for $15.
One is a cedar push pin call, the other a mahogany w/walnut lid box call.
Both in the original package, and original chalk.

Al33

Just about all turkey calls can be considered collectors items. I think you did real good for those prices whether or not that are sought after calls from collectors.

Might want to check Ebay and see if there are any there and what they are going for if you want to sell them. There are also some collectors on here they may be able to help you.

I knew Doug and he was a fine man. Left us way to early. :(

Al33

bullone,

Doug died last year from cancer. Shocked a whole bunch of us that saw him regularly at the sport show events. I would always see him at the GWTF convention at Unicoi each year where we both had booths for many years. A very humble man who is dearly missed by many.

bull0ne

Banned
Al33 said:
Doug died last year from cancer. Shocked a whole bunch of us that saw him regularly at the sport show events. I would always see him at the GWTF convention at Unicoi each year where we both had booths for many years. A very humble man who is dearly missed by many.

Doug Camp was a genuine person,i admired him for not trying to act like a snakeoil salesman.....so unlike many of the other household names in the hunting community, he had a good product and always took the time to talk to the people....whether it was a buyer or tirekicker,everyone was treated the same.

Al33

Well.......

it worked right after I linked it because I checked it. :huh:

While in this forum do a search using "doug camp" and that should do it for you.

Gadget

I bought one of his last(or so I thought) signed cedar box calls last year at the turkeyrama; a month or so later at the NWTF show I saw that they had found a whole bunch more of the "last signed boxes", I guess Doug had em hid out in the barn.............lol.

A friend of mine ownes 1400 acres in Crawford County, he used to hunt it with Doug Camp. He reserved the turkey rights for himself and leased all the other hunting out up until a couple years ago.

Last edited:

Nitro

Banned
Collectable calls

I hunt with all of my calls. Even the Cost calls in my collection have seen time in the woods.

(They are retired now) Mr. Neil told me in 1980 that he built his calls for one purpose.

If Doug Camp were here with us , I am certain he would rather the calls be in the woods than on the mantle. I met Mr. Doug several times and a nicer, more genuine person you will never meet. He was a Turkey KILLER.

God bless Doug Camp. He is another Turkey hunting legend gone.

oldcrowe

camp callers

i bought one of mr camps owl hooters at unicoi a couple yrs ago. had to after he showed me how it sounded. i have had more fun talking to owls with that thing thani could have ever imagined. had come to within 15-20 feet of me and dang near spin their heads off when i hooted behind them also have one of his slates

dutchman

I still love reading his book, Turkey Hunting: Spring and Fall. It is a classic.

I agree with those who've spoken of what a fine man Doug Camp was. He was the genuine article. Took time to answer people's questions and tried to help them learn to use his calls.

Cletusclassic

My name is Johnny Ponder. Myself and Donnie Gallahar acquired the rights to Camp Callers and are making high quality Camp Callers boxes now. Donnie made all the boxes for Doug for 20+ years and his quality calls are still being produced. We make the traditional short box and the famous "Screamin' Hen" long box, the Owl Hooter, a Tube Call and Ray Ward, long time friend of Doug still makes his famous wingbone call and we have a few of them. Also a assortment of mouth calls. We also have "Cletus", the safest and most effective full body decoy made. We specialize in custom personalized box calls that not only look great, but they have that famous Doug Camp sound. Donnie and I have known Doug for many years and he was our high school teacher back in the 60s. Check us out at www.campcallers.com

J Gilbert

My name is Johnny Ponder. Myself and Donnie Gallahar acquired the rights to Camp Callers and are making high quality Camp Callers boxes now. Donnie made all the boxes for Doug for 20+ years and his quality calls are still being produced. We make the traditional short box and the famous "Screamin' Hen" long box, the Owl Hooter, a Tube Call and Ray Ward, long time friend of Doug still makes his famous wingbone call and we have a few of them. Also a assortment of mouth calls. We also have "Cletus", the safest and most effective full body decoy made. We specialize in custom personalized box calls that not only look great, but they have that famous Doug Camp sound. Donnie and I have known Doug for many years and he was our high school teacher back in the 60s. Check us out at www.campcallers.com

I met you guys in Unicoi, my dad and another guy bought tube calls there and I played with the boxes a bit. I loved the sound, don't need one with my ugly mug painted on it though haha

Cletusclassic

We just finished our last set of callers of this season. We have some "Black Poplar calls that are beautiful. Just get with us if we can help. Thanks for kind words. Next year we are looking at doing a slate and a push button.