New Guy Wanting to Try Bear Hunting

albridges

I have never been but have always wanted to. Where in the Southern Zone would be a good place to start?

albridges

I guess no love for people trying to get into a sport?

Any help will do

EasyRhino

no real population down south except along the Ocmulgee River and in Okeefenokee. There are some here and there. there was a rumor of a guy that had one coming to feed on dog food each night in Terrell county. also there was one in a tree at the cracker barrell in tift county a while back.

DavidinFL

Ditto EasyRhino. The last I heard there was a hunting season for Bear in the Okeefenokee. I have not checked recently.

RLFaler

Im interested also. Anything in Jackson?Lamar county? How about Hancock/Baldwin? Or the ATL Zoo?

You can hunt bear on the Air Force base in Warner Robbins down in the swamp on the Ocmulgie. My son was in the AF at Warner Robbins and hunted deer there and saw bears, but you need a permit and it's shotgun only.

poolecw

You can hunt bear on the Air Force base in Warner Robbins down in the swamp on the Ocmulgie. My son was in the AF at Warner Robbins and hunted deer there and saw bears, but you need a permit and it's shotgun only.

What he said....

A coon hunting buddy of mine lives in Warner Robbins and he just sent me a picture of a coon feeder that was destroyed by a bear.

sclark88

I hunt with a friend in Bleckley County about 5 miles from Ocmulgee WMA, We have trail camera pics of bears shaking feeders for more food.

I've seen bear in Clinch Co. and have heard of them a good bit around the Fargo area. I think anywhere near the swamp should be good, probably a few in Charlton Co. too. Not too many to the West of Clinch though.

olhippie

...I really don't know the southern area well, but know that just along the northern border of the Okefenokee a couple of BIG bear were taken a couple years back. One was, and may still be, the state record by weight, 577 lbs. I think it was.A teen aged lad took it, eclipsing the record bear taken just a few days earlier in the same area!