the ins and outs of contact lenses?

Scott Rogers

Well a few years back I hit the big 40. Seems like the very next day I started going blind. lol. well 5 years later I can still see. but with out my glasses on words and numbers are just a blur.

So for the past 5 years of wearing glasses, I have been dealing with the day to day hassles of sweat dripping on them, fogging up, glare bouncing off them into my eye. always seem to be dirty 5 minutes after cleaning them. Working in them is a nightmare.

So I am considering contacts. How hard is it to get used to them? What are the day to day issues with them?

I guess its true getting old aint for the weak

7Mag Hunter

Been wearing contacts for 30 yrs.......Lenses today are extremely
comfortable...I don't even know I have them on....
Just follow the eye docs schedule for wearing, and you will be OK..
Most new wearers may be a bit squemish about putting them on,
but in a week or so you will get used to it...

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
I wear one lense in my right (dominate) eye for seeing distances, and use my left eye for up close, reading, etc. Takes a little getting used to, but beats glasses.

I'm seriously considering laser surgery.

merc123

Had them since 2000. I hate them, but hate glasses even more. I'm getting PRK. Anyway, I don't follow the schedule of taking them out ever night. I sleep in them. Just have to be careful, if they start hurting take them out. I've taken one out for a week or so and left the other in to give my eye a rest.

Took me about 2 weeks to get used to putting them in and I have trouble every now and again. I have sensitive eyes and a quick blink reflex so I have to hold my eye open with two fingers and put it in.

Knotwild

Sweating with glasses is a pain. Try the contacts. I loved wearing them, but my eyes will not tolerate their constant use and I wind up with inflammation; which is far worse than sweat! i have tried different brands and types, but none worked. Some people's eyes can take them, and some can't.

My eye doctor said they should be taken out every night. One reason is that they cover the eye and reduce oxygen contact and of course the other reasons are the potential for infection and inflammation due to a lack of tears while sleeping.

He also said that there is no difference between the extended use and regular contacts other than packaging.

Pat Tria

I've worn the hard gas permeable contact lenses since 1970. Two years ago, I went to the bifocal lenses and have been somewhat pleased. Sometimes I have trouble focusing up close and need a sort time for adjustment. I have to admit, contacts are better than wearing glasses but when you get a spec of dust in your eye, it feels like someone threw a handful of sand it your face.
Since there are so many types of lenses available on the market today, your eye Dr is the only one who can tell you which is best for you.

I wear one lense in my right (dominate) eye for seeing distances, and use my left eye for up close, reading, etc. Takes a little getting used to, but beats glasses.

That's what I do.

If you're outdoors just no comparison. Contacts all the way.

As far as learning to wear them, there are all sorts of contacts now, and your optometrist should let you try several out.

It takes one to two weeks to get used to them, and you just have to make up your mind to do so. They are a little itchy to start with, but you just have to make up your mind to get through it.

Odd thing is once you get used to wearing them, you can go without them, and then start wearing them again with no discomfort.

Sargent

I started wearing them about 12 years ago. I went to see my eye dr. and she asked me about them since my eyes were getting worse. I tried to put them in my eye in the office with no success.

She had a retired optometrist that worked for her part time. He was there and saw I was having trouble. He literally took my contact, opened my eye and popped it in. He told me to to the exact same thing to the other eye, which I did. I have never had an issue since.

The only problem I have had is dry eye. Extended wear are out of the question. I have always used daily wear. If the manufacturer said keep them in for 12 hours max, I would start having trouble at about 9 hours... at hour 12, it would be almost unbearably uncomfortable.

A couple of years ago, I went to a new optometrist. He gave me Acuvue's Oasys. They have the highest water content of any lens. I can wear a fresh pair for 16 hrs with no problem. A pair lasts for 2-3 weeks.

stev

Banned
get the eye surgey like i did .its expensive ,but worth the wait .i have better then 20/20.

merc123

I forgot about the trying different ones. I've tried 3 different brands of trial pairs and go back to my original acuvue 2's. They're the least breathable, but they're the most comfortable to me. I can't feel them at all.

I've had them for 9 years. If I had used them like I was supposed that would translate to almost the cost of PRK :)

rjcruiser

Hmmm...I've had contacts for about 3 years now. I'm supposed to take them out ever night or every other night. They don't bother my eyes so I usually leave them in for longer than that. Try to take them out at least once a week or every other week just to give my eyes a break...but sometimes, they're in for a month at a time.

Try some out. Takes about 2 to 3 days to get used to them. Worst thing that happens is you go back to glasses.

ChiefOsceola

I got some 4 years ago and they gave my eyes fits. My eyes were red and constantly bothering me...the lenses would fall out for no reason. After about a month and trying 3 different types, I gave up. My eyesight isn't bad...it just isn't great. Contacts didn't work for me.

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
I've worn the hard gas permeable contact lenses since 1970. Two years ago, I went to the bifocal lenses and have been somewhat pleased. Sometimes I have trouble focusing up close and need a sort time for adjustment. I have to admit, contacts are better than wearing glasses but when you get a spec of dust in your eye, it feels like someone threw a handful of sand it your face.
Since there are so many types of lenses available on the market today, your eye Dr is the only one who can tell you which is best for you.

Me too but I haven't gone to the bifocal lenses ~~yet~~ still using readers :banginghe I would LIKE to have the surgery but I wanna be 110% they have every kink possible worked out before I do! I wouldn't trade my contacts for nothing!! :cheers:

Indy

Wore contacts for close to 30 years. Did the laser surgery almost two years ago now. Contacts are great in that you don't have the lenses fog up on you when you step outside into the cold and you don't have to wipe them every few minutes cause of dirt or fingerprints. Of course you do have to get used to them and you do have to keep them clean. I always kept a small bottle of drops or wetting solution in my pocket in case my eyes dried out, which will happen. I used to buy the ones you wear for a month and then chunked them cause my eyes produced too much grit and by the end of a month the contacts were yellow. I started loosing my up close vision when I hit 50 and had to go to readers. That's when I decided to do the laser (had PRK). Figured I wasn't going to mess with contacts and glasses. No regrets on the surgery and my wife had it several years before me with no regrets. Still have to carry readers but only need them in low light or if I'm really tired. It's great having 20/20 vision again.

Big Black Ford

contacts are great i havent wore glasses in years. I work in real dusty environment and it is no problem. I keep an extra pair in my vehicle just in case one tears very uncomfortable

VisionCasting

Been in contacts for 30+ years. Started with the ones you had to clean nightly, went to the weekly wear ones in the mid 90s and been wearing 1-day Accuvue for about 10 years now. The daily wear ones are the BEST! They are overall more expensive, but they are worth it.