scat ID help

danmc

anyone know what animal left this? It is in Bartow County.

Attachments

• 20080304 133.jpg
    20080304 133.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 812

Coastie

Offhand and with no scale to judge the size of the individual pellets, I'd say a deer, likely a Buck unless you found it in a pasture and it is larger than it appears, then I would say bovine male.

dertiedawg

Mushrooms!! Eat a small piece and you'll feel great for hours!!:D

danmc

I should have put something in the photo for scale, but it is way bigger than what I have seen from deer. Could it be hog?

Swampagator

Could be from a hog but looking at the pic it would seem that was in a open feild or on a edge of one and a hog will be close to the water near a swampy area, but I am no expert for sure.

danmc

it was in an open food plot, but it is close (few hundred yards) to a swampy area. There are a couple of black walnut trees in the food plot. The swampy area nearby had a bunch of large rooted up area that were clearly the work of hogs but no scat so those may have been older.

polaris30144

That my friend is Bear Scat. Hogs will take a dump while walking, but a bear will hump up like a dog and dump it in a pile.

danmc

Interesting. While I have never seen bear tracks or an actual bear there, I did find a tree several miles away that had maybe been torn up by something big eating grubs.

I'm glad I finally got around to asking!

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
The swampy area nearby had a bunch of large rooted up area that were clearly the work of hogs but no scat so those may have been older.

Especially with hog sign close by I would say it looks like hog scat. Most of the bear scat I have seen is usually more in a pile and fairly runny depending on their diet... much like a cow dropping except with seeds/berries/acorns.

Bartow has quite a few hogs. Hog tracks look similar to deer except more like the golden arches.:D

They are probably feeding at night in the field. I have seen many food plots in the mtn WMAs that have hogs just covered in hog scat. They really like the clover fields.

Last edited:

Boar Hog

In over 25 years chasing hogs ,definitely pig !

danmc

Pig is what I was hoping for the day I took that picture. I took that in February of '08 (or was it 07) at Pine Log WMA.

JWilson

That is a hog I could show you more poop like that all over north ga you just have to know where to look

Razor Blade

What ever it was , it feels better now ....:bounce:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
That my friend is Bear Scat. Hogs will take a dump while walking, but a bear will hump up like a dog and dump it in a pile.

X2!!

What ever it was , it feels better now ....

:rofl::rofl:YEPPERS!! Just got back, so Me too, but it did not look like that so it ain't mine!