How many still ride around in your truck, stop, get out, Owl Hoot, get back in,repeat

Toddmann

Don't you guys try to hide now. This scenerio happens all season long on the WMA's. I will say it doesn't happen as often as it use to. Hope you have a great season!!!

Last edited:

bull0ne

Banned
You just touched a sore spot:banginghe

If I ever find the dude who spooked off the two redhot toms with an owl hooter at midmorning I will take target practice on his walmart hooter/spooker:banginghe

BTW...that was my last hunt on public land.

Last edited:

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Never have never will. Drives me insane. Public land birds are hard enough without any one helping educate them.

beginnersluck

I usually just stay in one general location and move around on foot if I have to. I know the turkeys are there, it's just the catching up part that's hard. If I've been at it for a couple of hours I'll drive to one of my other locations and start over until right before lunch. then I'm off again a little after 2 to see if I can catch them on in the woods. If not, then I hit the fields about an hour before dark, hoping they are wanting some "greens!"

But, NO, I never ride around in my truck hootin and hollerin!

S

spraggins

absolutely not. i disdain lazy morons who ride around and create 'road noise'. from my experience, these are the same folks who will come in on you when they hear you working a gobbler. they just ride and hoot, ride and call. they have no respect for the people that are actually hunting.i also think this practice plays a major role in the ever increasing population of non gobbling gobblers. i find it rather annoying that folks don't conduct themselves with respect in the turkey woods anymore. it greatly decreases the fun factor to have to deal w/ things like this. the only thing that i know to do is to lead by example.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Not me...

But we had a guy who use to do it all the time at our lease in Emanual County. Would drive me freakin nuts.

Stop, open creaky door, hoot, wait 15 seconds, slam creaky door, speed 1/4 mile down, repeat process.

Can't tell you how many times a gobbler would gobble after he slammed his door and sped off. He couldn't hear it but I could. I guess I do need to thank him for all my kills:bounce:

Covehnter

Say what you like, but its a good way to get a start on a new area, especially if its a large tract.

Works well for locating National Forest birds before a qouta hunt starts.

Problem is the guys that dont understand how to do it properly. . . .

Thunderbeard

Drives me crazy. You can always tell when their coming to. You first hear gravel popping under their tire about 1/2 mile down the road. Never fails as they slow down near you and open the door with radio blasting. Then you hear the radio turning down then here comes the loudest hoot then a series of hoots followed by a door slam the the radio back up and the gravel road drive out. Not to follow the flow master he has.

dutchman

I practiced this tatic when I first started hunting. Did it for about two years and then figured out why it didn't work all that well for me. Wouldn't do it now.

captainhook

There were a lot of owls and hens that rode the tank trails at Ft Stewart in Z71's with loud pipes. Must be some new subspecies??? Ft Stewart is a great place to hunt but there are bunch of idiots there that I don't care to share the woods with. Thank God I don't have to hunt public land anymore.

kevincox

The turkeys at Cedar Creek now where ear muffs to prevent further damage from all the owl hooting that takes place there.

gsubo

I have done it before and have found birds doing it but seems like the more I hunt on Ft. Stewart the less I even want to make a sound..even turkey sounds. If I come to a new listening spot if another area turned up nothing I'll usually just listen and let the woods and turkeys do it on their own because sooner or later if that bird is gonna sound off a real crow or owl will make them gobble on their own. Then they're not already alerted to you.
Captainhook, I know what you mean about them Z71's on ft stewart. I had several last year mess me up with loud exhaust.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
That`s a real good way to educate birds that don`t need any more education. It`s a whole lot better for everybody to leave the truck and hit the woods. :hammers: :banginghe :banginghe :banginghe

blindhog

DANG! I thought them was the rules for huntin' public land......

In the last 4 yrs of hunting I haven't heard not one "shock" gobble, unless it was an answer to my calling, and not with any type of "shock" caller.

I am gettin' to where in the sunrise hunt I let them sound off on their own before I make my move.

Later in the day I will yelp some to locate.

Afternoons I like to set up in a known turk area and cluck and purr with maybe one deke set out.

Thunderbeard

The ones in Oconee National Forest have Master Degrees. Their schools start in the middle of January. I have been there looking around for turkeys and Heard a bunch of Owls and Crows driving around calling away.

Torupduck

Banned
Thunderbeard said:
The ones in Oconee National Forest have Master Degrees. Their schools start in the middle of January. I have been there looking around for turkeys and Heard a bunch of Owls and Crows driving around calling away.
We should lobby to have the driver licenses of all birds revoked. That would solve that problem!::ke: :rofl: