Do You Ever?

Redbow

We have some ponds around our area that have Bullfrogs in them I love hearing those things bellow. I miss seeing the Bats that used to fly in early evening making their acrobatic flight patterns catching insects. Last week I saw 2 Bats, first ones I have seen this summer, we used to have lots of them around our area, now they are mostly gone.

oldfella1962

Stop and pause and listen to the early morning sounds that you might hear as the daylight is just beginning to chase the dark night away? I went out this morning just as day was breaking to enjoy the cool air here on the NC coast, such a refreshing morning coolness after all the hot and humid weather we have been having for a long time now.

I stopped to listen to nature's sounds this morning and to see how many birds I could identify as they were waking up from their roosting hours. I heard a Brown Thrasher first of all welcoming the daylight with the unmistakable call they make. Then a Redbird began chirping, a few Blue Jays chimed in with their loud calls and off in the distance 2 Great Horned Owls were hooting at each other way back in the Croatan Nation Forest. The Owls were just saying good nite to the other creatures of the woods. I could also clearly hear the sounds made by cars and trucks as the daily traffic began to build up on highway 24 just down the street from us.

Towards the East a very bright morning star was saying good nite as the daylight will quickly cause it to fade away, I think that was the north star which is the planet Venus. So many things to pause and enjoy in the early mornings each day if one will just stop, look around and listen to the beautiful sounds of nature as another day approaches. It kinda takes a bit of the modern day world off my mind as I do so.

But then I hear the traffic again out on highway 24.
Yes I do! I would imagine most people try to take in all the nature around them when they get some quiet time outdoors. True you might hear the sounds of "civilization" in the distance, but that's okay if it's not overwhelming.

oldfella1962

We have some ponds around our area that have Bullfrogs in them I love hearing those things bellow. I miss seeing the Bats that used to fly in early evening making their acrobatic flight patterns catching insects. Last week I saw 2 Bats, first ones I have seen this summer, we used to have lots of them around our area, now they are mostly gone.
We used to have bats around our neighborhood street lights, but come to think of it, I haven't see any in a few years.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Two things I totally despise is light pollution and noise pollution. At home I have some light pollution, but at the Seminole cabin I have neither. It`s nice to be able to see the Milky Way.
I can still see it from my yard, but not as bright as I used to could. That glow on the eastern horizon from Asheville 40 miles away gets brighter every year.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Used to be at least a dozen bats whirling around over the yard every evening at dusk, but they're almost gone here, too, now. I haven't seen one all summer.

Redbow

Two things I totally despise is light pollution and noise pollution. At home I have some light pollution, but at the Seminole cabin I have neither. It`s nice to be able to see the Milky Way.
I totally agree with you Nic, but the Wife likes to live like we are living here, its a small community but I still don't like it, never will.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
My wife is an all light on all the time kinda person. Always has been. I am like you. She keeps telling me this is why my eyes went bad. Women! :bounce:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Listening to the sounds of the woods is one of the most profound things I enjoy while I'm hunting. Not just the animals, but everything else, too. The trees creeking and the branches scraping. The marsh grass hissing in the wind. The ice melting and dripping.
One of the most awesome things I've ever seen and heard:

I don't know if you're familiar with rime ice, but it's a common phenomenon in the winter here on the higher mountain peaks and ridges. It forms when a cloud drifts over and around a mountain at frigid temps, and the water vapor in the cloud freezes onto the trees and other surfaces as it passes, coating everything in a white, sparkling mantle. It looks like this:

rime_ice4.jpg

Snow-in-the-Smokies-.jpg

One cold morning years ago, I was hiking along a trail in the Smokies, up at about 5500' elevation in the Canadian spruce-fir forest zone. Everything was covered with a thick coating of rime ice. Late in the morning, I stopped to build a little fire and heat some food and make some coffee. The sun had come out bright, and was dazzling reflecting off all the whiteness. It suddenly reached the temp point when hundreds of millions of tiny ice crystals started releasing from twigs, needles, and branches and came slowly floating and fluttering down to earth, reflecting and sparkling in the morning sunlight. As they drifted and collided en masse, a faint tinkling noise started, sounding like hearing wind chimes from a far distance. It was coming from everywhere and nowhere, just the faintest of tinkling. I stood there in awe until it was over. That was one of the most truly magical moments I have ever spent in a lifetime of being out in nature.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

I don't know if you're familiar with rime ice, but it's a common phenomenon in the winter here on the higher mountain peaks and ridges. It forms when a cloud drifts over and around a mountain at frigid temps, and the water vapor in the cloud freezes onto the trees and other surfaces as it passes, coating everything in a white, sparkling mantle. It looks like this:

View attachment 1254637

View attachment 1254638

One cold morning years ago, I was hiking along a trail in the Smokies, up at about 5500' elevation in the Canadian spruce-fir forest zone. Everything was covered with a thick coating of rime ice. Late in the morning, I stopped to build a little fire and heat some food and make some coffee. The sun had come out bright, and was dazzling reflecting off all the whiteness. It suddenly reached the temp point when hundreds of millions of tiny ice crystals started releasing from twigs, needles, and branches and came slowly floating and fluttering down to earth, reflecting and sparkling in the morning sunlight. As they drifted and collided en masse, a faint tinkling noise started, sounding like hearing wind chimes from a far distance. It was coming from everywhere and nowhere, just the faintest of tinkling. I stood there in awe until it was over. That was one of the most truly magical moments I have ever spent in a lifetime of being out in nature.

That`s some strong medicine right there.

twtabb

At our place at the beach there is a couple that has their coffee watching the sunrise and then out again at sunset. Everyday.
Very content couple.

We have another group that gets their conch shells and blows once to each direction ( n,s,e,w) at sunset then they go have a few cocktails.

Most everyone inside around dark and all is quiet. Lots of noise and light pollution but on a quiet night I hear noises coming from the water. Usually dolphins chasing mullet.

At home on the creek totally different story. Nature at its best.

oldfella1962

View attachment 1254637

View attachment 1254638

That's awesome! Great you happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Love the hooting of the owls late in the day, and the chorus of birds chirping as the day slowly comes alive. I do pay close attention to it. Love it!

View attachment 1254637

View attachment 1254638

Cool story. Literally! :bounce: That sound you described in your story sort of reminds me of a hunt I had one morning back in 1993 on Fort Stewart. It was a brutally cold morning as I sat up in that pine tree. A little after 8, it started sleeting pretty good. You could hear it hitting (tinkling) on the palmettos and bushes all around. After a few minutes of this, 2 bucks came hoping up, stopping nearly right under my climber. A small spike and an 8-pointer. That noise had apparently spooked them as they both were on full alert. I couldn’t even move, they were right there beside me. They both started nervously walking off, and once the 8 got out far enough, I eased up my gun and killed him. Just an overall neat hunt with the sleet, and one of the dang coldest hunts I’ve ever had.

Redbow

I remember when we had ice storms years ago everything got coated with ice. When the Sun came back out the glistening of the trees and everything else by the Sunlight was something to see, especially in the woods. When the wind blew and moved the ice laden tree branches the noise that the ice made kinda sounded like wind chimes as NC Hillbilly said. When the temperatures rose enough for the ice to start melting big releases of ice off the big pine tree branches came crashing to the ground. The ice from the storm was beautiful in the forest and I can remember hearing pine tree limbs snapping off off every now and then from the weight of the ice sounding like the crack of a .22 rifle when they broke. That ice often reeked havoc on pecan trees, I hate ice storms and the damage they cause especially with power outages but they do paint the trees and landscape with beautiful scenery when they come.

bany

Visual and audio psychedelics? I’m reading thru this and thinking of some of the things I’ve seen and heard. “Good medicine” it is! Makes you think, feel and appreciate if your paying attention.
Sitting here now a small hawk just circled a tree trunk and a chattering squirrel narrowly escaped with its life! I’m slowing down the start of my day to see the rest of this hunt!

oldfella1962

I remember when we had ice storms years ago everything got coated with ice. When the Sun came back out the glistening of the trees and everything else by the Sunlight was something to see, especially in the woods. When the wind blew and moved the ice laden tree branches the noise that the ice made kinda sounded like wind chimes as NC Hillbilly said. When the temperatures rose enough for the ice to start melting big releases of ice off the big pine tree branches came crashing to the ground. The ice from the storm was beautiful in the forest and I can remember hearing pine tree limbs snapping off off every now and then from the weight of the ice sounding like the crack of a .22 rifle when they broke. That ice often reeked havoc on pecan trees, I hate ice storms and the damage they cause especially with power outages but they do paint the trees and landscape with beautiful scenery when they come.
Was that the 2014 ice storm? I can't remember exactly how widespread it was, but here around Augusta it was pretty bad. Much more destructive than the ten or so inches of snow we got here in 2010.
Oops I hope I didn't jinx it! :oops: I guess I will find out in a few months! :unsure:

specialk

i got a sound every morning not many folks have. theres a feller about 3 mile as the crow flys that has about 100 fighting roosters....at daylight they all bet to crowing...it sounds like a bunch of commanches indians attacking the calvery.....