How to you know it’s time to quit on a morning hunt?

Fork Horn

How do you know when it’s time to call it a morning and quit a morning hunt? Evenings are easy; once it’s dark, it’s time to stop. However mornings are different since only minutes after we give up, something could come by that would have made an average season into one that you would never forget. We just don’t know.

Me, for example, the largest buck I ever shot came by at 12:15; however, even now I rarely stay in the stand until after noon, especially if I was there before daylight. I only stayed that long on that day due to some does feeding nearby that I didn’t want to spook. Had the does not been there, I would have been gone before the buck came by.

So how do you know when it’s time to quit on a morning hunt? Do you feel like your giving up when leaving the woods or do you justify it to yourself in someway that it’s time to stop and go home?

specialk

when the clock strikes 10:30 i slowly, quietly start gathering my stuff together..usually ready to clear out by 11am....

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Just like others - I’ve killed at all hours of the day.

My quitting time depends on what else I have going on. This morning my nephew was ready at 10……..I grabbed him, we got a biscuit and headed home. He lives next door so he’ll be over around 230 to try again this evening.

That said, the best deer I killed was when I got to the bottom of my ladder and a 12 point decided he was coming in anyway. So I’m always a little hesitant with 5 more minutes.

sleepr71

It’s purely a guess! The longer you stay..the closer you are to connecting. On many clubs/leases..the quietest part of the day is:Mid-day (10:30-3:00)…and the deer figure it out too;). During the rut…I try to be in a stand as much as I can bear..those big boys are traveling the most!

Big7

The Oracle
When my right knee starts hurting and wanting to pop. :bounce:

Serious tho.. I don't see much point in sitting when the sun is straight or near straight up.

I know people kill deer all times of day but 3 1/2- 4 hours is enough for me especially if I'm hunting morning and evening, it's closer to the
3 1/2 then.

transfixer

I usually tried to factor in the moon table to determine how long to stay in the stand, if movement as best at 12 or 1pm, I'd get down around 10 , go to camp and eat breakfast, then go back to the stand, if movement was supposed to be mid morning, I'd usually go in after daylight and stay till 11:30 or so, but there is not correct way of doing it,

rugerfan

The older I get it is getting harder to sit still. To many aches and pains and if there isn't anything moving the boredom takes its toll with me. I have killed deer between the hours of 10:30 am to 3:30 pm. I just can't sit all day anymore. This morning I just didn't feel like it. Had too much to do at the house with the Holidays coming. I am going to try and give it a go this evening.

Toliver

Mother nature knocking incessantly and demanding satisfaction will end a hunt... or at least interrupt it.

Toliver

And a rattlesnake crawling up to your blind might do it for some folks. I heard it as I was typing that last message. It's sitting right outside my blind right now.

Latest posts