Favorite way to hunt!

Bob2010

I figured the bucks would be moving this morning. I grabbed my hammock seat as I headed into the woods. I get lots of blow downs in our Hardwoods. I don't enjoy stand hunting when the wind is blowing hard. My favorite way to hunt when it's wet or windy. Hunt 30 minutes and move 50 yards. Repeat! Wind in your face and move painfully slow. My first stop after abandoning the stand. I dropped this 6 pt at 20 yards. Lots of meat on this deer. I have killed an average of 4 deer a season for the last 29 years. You would think it would get old at some point. A majority of the bucks I have killed, were killed with this tactic. The key is to pull the trigger before they make you. Sometimes, like today I pulled the trigger the moment that he spotted me. He is no monster buck and many would of let him walk. I felt like pulling the trigger and filling the freezer. The fun has become thinking outside of the box . I get bored with just sitting in the same stand and hunting the same way all the time. It's exciting down on the ground. Way harder to determine age etc from the ground. Things happen too fast. Fun though.

Attachments

• 20231101_091301.jpg
    20231101_091301.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 160

basshappy

BANNED
@Bob2010 I love spot and stalk. I can hang with the best of 'em, but I prefer to move versus sit. Took me 1.5 hours to move 50 yards recently. I was much warmer this morning covering ground versus sitting in a climber or stand. Congrats on your harvest!!!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Nothing wrong with that buck , congrats !
I prefer to sit but I can’t sit in the same spot more than a couple times , I’ll mark up a bunch of trees in a season

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Used to still hunt a lot. If it was dry, I would take my boots off and sneak around in heavy socks, could get pretty close and killed a few with my bow, missed a lot more.

Now I'm more of a sitter in a blind, especially with the grandkids. Rarely do I use a tree stand

specialk

Nice deer, good body, he will eat good...

Bob2010

Nice buck, and you got him the hard way. I’ve killed a few off the ground, some sitting, some walking. I get busted more than I bust them. Well done. Congrats!
The wind is the key. Also, not a great tactic for a trophy club. A buck especially will often make you. When I go into hunt this way. I plan on killing some meat. Or taking a target buck out. Often I pull the trigger at the same moment they make me. Letting deer walk this way will just blow up your hunting spot for a few days. It's fun though.

WOODIE13

First deer I killed with a bow came by so close, the arrow was in the deer before it was out of the bow while still hunting

Bob2010

Used to still hunt a lot. If it was dry, I would take my boots off and sneak around in heavy socks, could get pretty close and killed a few with my bow, missed a lot more.

Now I'm more of a sitter in a blind, especially with the grandkids. Rarely do I use a tree stand
My success rate is higher on the ground. I'm getting old too. I don't need to be alone in the woods climbing all the time.

WOODIE13

Yep, these mountains are definitely getting steeper for me.

krizia829

I figured the bucks would be moving this morning. I grabbed my hammock seat as I headed into the woods. I get lots of blow downs in our Hardwoods. I don't enjoy stand hunting when the wind is blowing hard. My favorite way to hunt when it's wet or windy. Hunt 30 minutes and move 50 yards. Repeat! Wind in your face and move painfully slow. My first stop after abandoning the stand. I dropped this 6 pt at 20 yards. Lots of meat on this deer. I have killed an average of 4 deer a season for the last 29 years. You would think it would get old at some point. A majority of the bucks I have killed, were killed with this tactic. The key is to pull the trigger before they make you. Sometimes, like today I pulled the trigger the moment that he spotted me. He is no monster buck and many would of let him walk. I felt like pulling the trigger and filling the freezer. The fun has become thinking outside of the box . I get bored with just sitting in the same stand and hunting the same way all the time. It's exciting down on the ground. Way harder to determine age etc from the ground. Things happen too fast. Fun though.
That's an awesome buck in my eyes! That sounds like a fun way to do it as well as a great way to learn more about the woods and the way deer do the things that they do. Plus it keeps you active and takes the boredom away. Congratulations!

frankwright

Years ago a friend and I were hunting a private piece of land around LaGrange.
I found a really good place I wanted to hunt that evening but did not have a stand.
We went to go get lunch and I stopped in an outdoor store and bought a hang on tree seat.
That opened up a new world to me. I wish I could say I killed a big buck that night but it did not happen. What did happen is I found out how well I could see, how easy it was to stand and stretch or reach my pack hanging nearby.
I have moved on to a Hammock seat and the millennium hang on seat, which to me is the most comfortable, but I hunt on the ground a lot and if I don't like the view, I move a few yards to a totally different view.