Get Me Started !!!

Woods'nWater

I have really been wanting to get started fly fishing. 95% of my time will be spent going after bream, crappie, and bass in ponds and small rivers (i.e. Flint River).

I have no idea where to begin, but I have been looking at the Bass Pro White River setup for around $80. From what I have read, 5 or 6wt. rods in 8.5' look good to me. What say you?

Also, I have no clue about line choices, tippets (what are they?) and other needed tackle.

What types of flies or lures should I start out with?

Any suggestions/info would be great. I would like to keep it under $150 all included, just to get started.

Looking forward to joining the addiction!!!!!!:flag:

Tentwing

Woods;

Unless you have some one that can show you the ropes of flyfishing i would start by getting myself a copy of " The Curtis Creek Manifesto " It is a short book that can be read in under an hour and will save you a ton of time and money.

Just google Amato publishing and you should find a link to by a copy they used to cost $7.95

This is the best way for a true beginner unless you have a mentor close by.

Tentwing

bushidobam

Woods n' Water,

I am a self-taught fly-fisherman, and my advice is--If you have a true desire to learn all of the intricacies of fly-fishing, and can be patient enough to deal with the bumps in the road that accompany this type of fishing, then you are 90% there my friend.

Tentwing had some great advice. A book that covers the mechanics of fly-fishing and the tools of the trade is worth its weight in gold. Oh, don't forget to give your book a good hard glance-over before going into the fly-shop!

Get a set-up [rod, reel, line, leaders, tippet material, flies, flybox, etc.] that you are comfortable with, both physically and monetarily. Once you have a few seasons working out the kinks and frustrations, and honing your skills, you'll be able to upgrade if you see fit.

You will be addicted to fly-fishing! Don't say I didn't warn you!

Good Luck :cool:

thegaduck

Woods n waters

You are on the right track. Go cheap while learning. Match your fly line to your rod wt. The leader ties to the end of the fly line. Size depends on what you are fishing for. Tippet ties to the end of the leader. Length depends on a lot of factors, as does wt. (3x,,4x,etc.) Tippet, generally, allows you to change flies using tippet without shortening your leader as well as other variables, such as breaking off a fish. Best way to learn is to set up your rig and give it a try. Good luck.

overbrook

I would suggest getting with an experienced guy who has plenty of equipment and would be willing to take ya out for the day...let ya borrow an outfit.....go over the basics with ya...as far as equipment and flies and such...and let ya give it a try before ya go invest your own money......I'm sure if ya asked there is probably somebody close enough to ya that would be willing.
I'd offer but your on the opposite side of the state....and we don't have much fishable water right now :cry:

WinMag.300

coweta

I am in Coweta also. I am an experienced fisherman and caster and would be willing to donate some time and let you try out several rods and weights to see what you are 'looking for. I would opt for a 4 or 5wt 9' rod as a beginner. I am inSenoia so hit me up for advice or lessons.

Sargent

Don't skimp on line. A cheap setup is ok. Cheap line isn't.

gabreamfanatic

i too am self taught. but do what the others have suggested dont skimp on your line get a good one and go some what cheap on you real all that it does is hold it. and you can spend the rest of your money on a good rod and flies. as for what flies to get. start off with some poppers and some foam bugs. as for learning look on you tube they have some great how to vids on how to cast and even how to set up a fly rod correct. enjoy your new addiction because one you start theirs no turning back. and before you hit the water with it pratice pratice and more pratice.

centerpin fan

If possible, get a casting lesson and PRACTICE.

If that's not possible, buy a good DVD (Joan Wulff, Mel Krieger, Lefty Kreh) and PRACTICE.

In your price range, I'd look at a Bass Pro Hobbs Creek combo or a Redington Crosswater combo or a Scientific Angler combo.

I'd go with a 5wt.

Callaway Gardens has some good FF instruction and they're not too far from you.

flyfisher76544

I am in Coweta also. I am an experienced fisherman and caster and would be willing to donate some time and let you try out several rods and weights to see what you are 'looking for. I would opt for a 4 or 5wt 9' rod as a beginner. I am inSenoia so hit me up for advice or lessons.

Jump on this offer, it will help you greatly!!!! Plus you might make a new fishing bud.:D

Don't skimp on line. A cheap setup is ok. Cheap line isn't.

Real good advice. The set up you are looking at is a good one. The line leaves a lot to be desired that comes with that set-up but its a really good rod and reel combo. Bass Pro also has fly fishing classes that are free! The guys here in the Savannah BPS are some class A folks. They give out advice and unlike the other sections, actually fly fish themselves.:D
Get ready, your other poles and gear are gonna collect a lot of dust. Once you have hooked into a 5lb bass on a fly rod.....theres no going back. I have the same set-up but went with the 6wt due to me fishing larger bodies of water.

luv2drum

I've got the Hobbs Creek set up and have no complaints. With a little coaching, my casting has improved greatly. Now I have to learn the other stuff. But like everyone says, it becomes an addiction.

gabreamfanatic

speaking of bps i was in their yesterday and tim told me that they are holding a fly fishing event on march 6,2010. tim and tom are two outstanding guys. they will hep you out with anything that you need.

allenww

Learning flyfishing

If Winmag will teach you, I have a four wt. you can use those first few months.

If you decide it is for you, you will know by then what you really want - and more importantly, you will know why.

wa

flyfisher76544

speaking of bps i was in their yesterday and tim told me that they are holding a fly fishing event on march 6,2010. tim and tom are two outstanding guys. they will hep you out with anything that you need.

X2, both a couple of stand up guys.

Yeah I was there Saturday as well.

Last edited:

golffreak

That BPS set up should be a good one to start with. Like the other said, the line is one of, if not the most important component...other than patience.

WinMag.300

Actually...

if and when you are intending to purchase could be very important also. I would pick up a 99.00 TFO signature series 4 or 5wt 8'6" or 9" rod, a cheap reel/hobbs creek makes a great reel that is hard to beat by price, and a cortland 444 or rio mainstream line. It will set you up total about 165-180 depending on deals but you will be far better off and with a piece of equipment that will be easy to learn on, and you can keep advancing with it. I started off going with a hobbs creek combo which it is a great setup as are the dogwood canyon, but after 6months I was already wanting to step up. I could have saved money by just starting out with a decent st. croix, or TFO. Now I got a great deal on a Sage and love it as well. But practically speaking years ago I would not have forseen my addiction as it sits now, nor would I have forseen the vast improvements I have made to justify the purchase of a sage to start with. but a 100.00 rod and a 30.00 dollar line with a 30.00 reel are not bad at all, to get setup with a stellar package for beginner or experienced alike. Any questions hit me up, and like I said, I have many rods you can cast if you like to get a feel for what you like. I have found reels that I like, aesthetically and that have a great drag especially for my larger setups. These are very budget friendly reels that have performed great for me and I highly recommend them.

9' st. croix legend. 5 wt with Albright Bugati LA reel cortland 444

9' Pflueger trion 5wt with trion reel cortland 333 long belly taper

7'6 TFO 3 wt Signature with martin Mohawk river 3-4 reel Rio Mainstream 4wt line

9' Scierra 4 wt with martin Mohawk River 3-4 Rio mainstream 4wt

Pflueger Trion 9'8 wt with Okuma SLV 8-9 with Cabelas Pristege 8wt line.

Orvis Clearwater 9'8wt with Okuma Slv 8-9 with 9wt Rio saltwater line.

6' TFO 2wt with Browning black canyon 3wt reel, with sage quiet taper 2wt.

DFB

The offer for a casting lesson is a big +. It always helps to have someone there who is willing to help correct any mistakes. If you are going to be fishing everything from bream to bass you will probably going to want to try a 4 wt. or 5 wt. for the bream and an 8 wt. to a 10 wt. for bass depending on the size of popper or fly you will be casting. I find that floating weight forward lines work best for me.

rider028

Cabellas has a combo (rod, reel, backing, weight forward fly line and leader) for $39.95 on sale untill 2/16. It is called the Cahill combo.