kayak fishing

gabreamfanatic

was wondering if any of you guys use a kayak for fly fishing or any type of fishing? i been looking at so many of them and i think i have it narrowed down to the one i want to get. it will be some time next year before i get it but i will be getting one. its the trident 13. theirs something about that one that it has me sold on it.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
yes, i do and several others do. make sure you paddle before you buy one but i have heard great things about that boat. i have a native magic 14.5 and love it.

Randy

Yes and I am glad you decided on one of our kayaks. I think you will be happy with it.

Randy aka Riverpirate

yaknfish

Since I got my 'yak, I hardly wanna fish any other way. They are GREAT for fly fishing. You are closer to the water, so you have to keep your backcast high. But NO TREES behind you. And 4" draft means you can go almost anywhere. Almost any pond is accessible, and little to no maintenance. Don't wait till next year.

BTW, hi Riverpirate!

Last edited:

gabreamfanatic

i wish i could get it now but with me not working and a huge medical bill i have to pay on. it will be some time next year. but i have some of the money saved up for it all ready thats what tax refunds are for.

BasserDrew

I agree the Trident is a good boat and you should definitely test it and others out before you buy.

You may also want to consider my signature series kayak that comes out probably early summer this year. It is going to be very stable and easy to stand in, making it better for fly fishing in my opinion (but I guess I'm always going to have some bias...lol :D ). I have designed it specifically with fishing in mind so I hope it helps anglers catch big fish and they enjoy all the cool features we've put into it.

Best of luck in your search and let us know how it goes!

gabreamfanatic

all right basser drew you have me ears all perked up for this kayak of yours. so please tell me more about it thanks for the help guys.

savreds

gabreamfanatic

There are several people in Sav that kayak fish. There are several different brands and models spread out among us.
I sure that all of them would be glad to let you paddle there yaks to see how they handle and how stable they are.
The Trident is certainly a fine yak, C.ChrisYak over on the GKF forum has one still I believe and I'm sure that he would let you try it out.
Paddle as many different ones as you can before you buy if possible. I'm not sure of what type fishing you plan on doing the most but each yak out there is better at certain types than others.
I've got an Ocean Kayak Big Game thatyou are mre than welcome to try. Depending on how big you are, that could really narrow down your choices due to weight carrying capacity. Just something else to think about.
PM me with any specific questions that you might have if you want and I'll try to help out as much as I can.

gabreamfanatic

thanks savred. i am 5 6 and 145 i seen that red fish tournie in the paper a few weekends ago on red fish and thats what got my intrest up in a kayak. what i will be mostly fishing for is bream and crappie out at lake mayer and on ft stewart ponds. even thou i have a boat i want one were i can just throw it in the back of my truck and take off for the day. its i just dont know any one here in town with a kayak who would be wiling to at least let me try one. i have been by west marine in savannah and looked at theirs.

savreds

thanks savred. i am 5 6 and 145 i seen that red fish tournie in the paper a few weekends ago on red fish and thats what got my intrest up in a kayak. what i will be mostly fishing for is bream and crappie out at lake mayer and on ft stewart ponds. even thou i have a boat i want one were i can just throw it in the back of my truck and take off for the day. its i just dont know any one here in town with a kayak who would be wiling to at least let me try one. i have been by west marine in savannah and looked at theirs.

If you're not doing anything and have the time, go out to Bass Pro Shops tomorrow and talk to Trey ( 3spots over on GKF forum ), he is a rep for Johnson Outdoors, they make the OK brand. He will either be up stairs by the electronics or down by the Kayaks more than likely.
You can also go out to Cofffee Bluff Marina at the end of White Bluff Rd and look at all the kayaks out there. They carry the Wilderness System line. They have some Ride 135's, Tarpon series, and the new Commander which is a hybrid like the Native. If Chris is there ( C.ChrisYak ), who is their yak guide, he can fill you in, he's been yak fishing longer than anyone else in the area. The owners Ray and Amy are really nice people and can give you some good info also.