Shooting docks for crappie

outdoorman

I want to catch some crappie this year so bad I can hardly wait to get advice from this group.
I have a kayak (no electronics) so am thinking about trying to shoot docks.
I am on the Georgia coast but do go to near Lake Sinclair, Lake Tobesofskee (spelling??) and Lake Lanier as I visit relatives near these.
What time of year/(months) is good for catching crappie with this method?
I will also try fishing when they are in shallows as I don't use electronics to locate fish.

Whitefeather

Management Material
Anytime of the year is a good time but certainly some are more productive than others. The main thing is water depth and temperature. Sunny days are usually more productive than cloudy days. A dock in 5’ of water may not have fish on it this time of year, but a dock with 20’ might. Crappie are for the most part structure oriented fish and they use the docks as such. On bright sunny days they use it for shade.
Dock shooting is a fun way to catch them when you figure it out. Shorter rods (5’6”)are easier for using than longer rods. Lighter jigs are generally better than heavier jigs.
I’m also a fan of hi viz line vs clear mono. And I prefer 4# test vs 6

littlejon

What whitefeather said. Lanier they will hold on deep docks or nearby year-round. Without electronics its hit or miss. You will want to narrow the size of the area you fish to increase your chances. Look for shaded docks. Best time is pre-spawn.

Fullnet2

I want to catch some crappie this year so bad I can hardly wait to get advice from this group.
I am on the Georgia coast but do go to near Lake Sinclair, Lake Tobesofskee (spelling??) and Lake Lanier as I visit relatives near these.
I will also try fishing when they are in shallows as I don't use electronics to locate fish.
Sorry for the late reply. I’m an avid dock shooter and have found this method successfully for over 30 years. You will be able to catch crappie from your kayak and Im sure it will be very rewarding. You don’t have to have side imaging etc though it does help. After all, none of us old timers had it a few years back. I’m going to give you a little information about Lanier since it’s my home lake. I would suggest fishing Clarks Bridge north since it’s not inundated with as many large boats. From Mid February through June and from October through December will give you a good chance. For equipment, I will suggest a medium sized spinning reel and a 6 to 61/2 foot rod. You really don’t want anything too flimsy. You will understand why as you become more accomplished. I would start out with a pearl and an electric chicken 2” bobby Garland paired with a 1/32 jig head. Practice at home and you will reap the rewards at the lake. Of course, there are many other colors and a bit heavier jig head might be in order at times. A 30 series pfluegar supreme spinning reel and a 6 1/2 foot med lighting rod will get you started. Try to stay close to this size rod and reel but if you prefer a different brand that’s fine. Four pound chartreuse viscous line is good and whatever line you use please fill your reel completely. Also, don’t spend much time on a dock if you haven’t had a bite. Slow down your retrieve and that will be too fast. Slow down more.
Good luck fishing!

outdoorman

Fullnet
Anytime of the year is a good time but certainly some are more productive than others. The main thing is water depth and temperature. Sunny days are usually more productive than cloudy days. A dock in 5’ of water may not have fish on it this time of year, but a dock with 20’ might. Crappie are for the most part structure oriented fish and they use the docks as such. On bright sunny days they use it for shade.
Dock shooting is a fun way to catch them when you figure it out. Shorter rods (5’6”)are easier for using than longer rods. Lighter jigs are generally better than heavier jigs.
I’m also a fan of hi viz line vs clear mono. And I prefer 4# test vs 6
Thanks

outdoorman

Sorry for the late reply. I’m an avid dock shooter and have found this method successfully for over 30 years. You will be able to catch crappie from your kayak and Im sure it will be very rewarding. You don’t have to have side imaging etc though it does help. After all, none of us old timers had it a few years back. I’m going to give you a little information about Lanier since it’s my home lake. I would suggest fishing Clarks Bridge north since it’s not inundated with as many large boats. From Mid February through June and from October through December will give you a good chance. For equipment, I will suggest a medium sized spinning reel and a 6 to 61/2 foot rod. You really don’t want anything too flimsy. You will understand why as you become more accomplished. I would start out with a pearl and an electric chicken 2” bobby Garland paired with a 1/32 jig head. Practice at home and you will reap the rewards at the lake. Of course, there are many other colors and a bit heavier jig head might be in order at times. A 30 series pfluegar supreme spinning reel and a 6 1/2 foot med lighting rod will get you started. Try to stay close to this size rod and reel but if you prefer a different brand that’s fine. Four pound chartreuse viscous line is good and whatever line you use please fill your reel completely. Also, don’t spend much time on a dock if you haven’t had a bite. Slow down your retrieve and that will be too fast. Slow down more.
Good luck fishing!
Great info; very helpful for when I get out to Lanier Clarks Bridge.
I assume I can use this anywhere there are docks to catch crappie like on Lake Sinclair.

Worley

What @Fullnet2 said, maybe just a tad slower on retrieve ✔️….depending on depth of fish and location of them @ some times I’ll leave my bail open and count in seconds as jig falls - then close it …sometimes I don’t even reel just micro twitches of rod tip is sufficient. Keep the line tight, if it goes slack or changes direction - a fine meal is on the other end. Vertical jigging can get em too, if you can get to their location - inside corners of docks / dock floats and dark spots are a good place to start…drop to bottom, reel slowwwww in 1/2 turn increments ….and post some pics

Anvil Head

Just a heads-up, most of the Sinclair older docks are permanent structure, that is "not on floaters" and tight to water. They very often have "X" timbers for stabilization, so be aware that you will encounter more than average breakoffs. There will be fish there including hungry bass and you need to get them out away from structure quickly if they are of any size. Did well in many a bass tournaments shooting trick worms under those docks.

Fullnet2

Great info; very helpful for when I get out to Lanier Clarks Bridge.
I assume I can use this anywhere there are docks to catch crappie like on Lake Sinclair.
Absolutely, you may have to experiment with different colors. I didn’t mention tube jigs and hair jigs but they work very well. Also, practice shooting your jig as far possible under the dock. It will make a difference. Straight across from Clark Bridge is Limestone Creek. It’s not far and some of those docks will have fish most of the time.
Good luck fishing!

Latest posts