Anybody going to cherokee opening weekend?

scteenhunter13

i was just wondering if any of yall are going up the last weekend in march? my dad and i, aren't fly fisherman, tried it but it just isn't for us. we're heading up there for opening day. you fly fisherman better run up there with yall's new fly fish only water, their gonna be stocking like crazy in there the week before. anyone who is going hope you have a great time and catch a big one! i'll post some pictures when i get back. good luck everybody:yeah:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Better take your own rock to stand on and a bucketful of patience. I'm just across the mountain from Cherokee, went once on opening day about twenty years ago. I'll never do that again. Like trying to fish in Times Square at 11PM on New Year's eve.

scteenhunter13

Better take your own rock to stand on and a bucketful of patience. I'm just across the mountain from Cherokee, went once on opening day about twenty years ago. I'll never do that again. Like trying to fish in Times Square at 11PM on New Year's eve.

oh i know what you mean, i've been going opening day with my dad and his friends the past 5 or 6 years. i mean don't get me wrong, we love the fishing and thats what we go up there to do but just spending time with my dad and having a good time is all that really matters. we get up early, i mean 3:30ish. grab a sandwich, and head down to our honeyhole down big cove road. we caught 10 from first cast to about 9ish. nothing smaller than 15 inches, dad eventually won the money pot with a 19 inch brown, it was the first one we caught. we ended up catching our limit saturday and sunday. it is alot of people up there but you just gotta handle it and not let it get to you, mainly its new people to the water who don't know all the good holes. we do well everytime we go up and i'll be sure to post some pictures!:yeah:

dirtroad

Gone But Not Forgotten
Will turkey hunt Fri.morning,then head to the KOA campground in Cherokee N.C.:banana::banana:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, you can still catch a limit of fish pretty easy if you know what you're doing. Still fun, too. I guess I just get more grouchy and less fond of crowds of people the older I get. :) Good luck, and post some pics up.

dirtroad

Gone But Not Forgotten
Dsc02066.jpg
Never seen a "golden trout" before.
Dsc02062.jpg

Dsc02058.jpg

We had fun,but got rained out Sun.and come on home.

scteenhunter13

where'd you catch that golden? i seen 2 guys catch THREE of those down little bunches creek, all 20in+ out of the same hole!
i caught my limit pretty fast saturday. dad caught 3
took a picture of our stringer, forgot i was supposed to take one, not very good one, will post later when i can get it!
this morning we woke up and fished in the rain till noon.
dad caught 3 all over 14in and i caught zero :(
dad tied for second place with a 15in and got $50
had alot of fun, its not all about catching the fish, just being up there and spending time with my dad is all that matters to me.
oh and funny story, if anybody finds a size 11 hodgeman boot in the water near the bridge over there by that old run down go cart place across the river from the hardees , can you please send me a pm haha lost it somehow, guess i didn't have it tied tight enough :(

Hawken2222

Rabbit, y'all wore them fish out. Looks like a great trip!