Rangerfinder question

bamaboy812003

I'm looking at buying my first rangefinder, but i always get mixed reviews about what kind of rangefinder to buy. Is it worth the money to buy the Nikon archers choice or the Bushnell ARC. Or can i get away with a standard range finder. Any input is helpful, thanks.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I have had the Nikon regular 440 for 6 or so years. Does fine but if I was buying a new one I would get the auto calculating angle dangle feature.

If your just gonna use it in GA...there is no reason other than resale, to buy anything like a 1000 arc. I did, and it was a waste of my money. a simple 440 like bamaboy is talking about would be just fine. Look on here, and on Archery Talk for one. I bought mine off AT for 145 dollars to my door. It is normally 319.99 at Cabelas. Camo 1000 ARC Bushnell. As i said, i got a really good deal, but if it was not for going to Montana and up to NY this fall, i would have sold it for more like 225 and then bought a 440 or something like that. They are on there for less than 150 all the time.

i got the archers choice. i love it. waterproof, and has the angle compensation. i dont do any hunting without it. you cant go wrong with it.

benellisbe

I went with a Leupold RX-600 (on sale at BP) and it has been a great rangefinder. ARC is great if you are hunting some crazy elevation changes or anticipate going to hunt elsewhere (Africa or New Mexico, for example). I do have a creek running through some land I own that has a 40 ft elevation change over about 5 feet, so from the top of that bank then yes ARC would be nice. ARC, to me, isn't worth the extra $$ for a bowhunter. How far are you going to shoot with a bow anyway... JMO

bamaboy812003

Well i usually hunt about 20 feet up. Is that enough to make the difference in angle. which would require the arc tecnology. The area im hunting is in east central alabama, so not that hilly.

benellisbe

I regularly hunt 25+ feet and still don't feel that ARC is worth it in Georgia. You can always mark your stands yardages from the ground and simply use fixed objects for a known distance range. It is easy to do with a tape measure (or just walking it off) and then mark the tree with ribbon, etc.

rjcruiser

ARC isn't going to make much of a difference. Just find an object at eye level and click on it. Maybe it will adjust 1 yard of difference....that is less than an inch when it comes to poi with a bow.

benellisbe

ARC isn't going to make much of a difference. Just find an object at eye level and click on it. Maybe it will adjust 1 yard of difference....that is less than an inch when it comes to poi with a bow.

That is how I range when i'm hunting real high.

jason bales

Banned
Dont get the chauck adams edition i had it for all of a few days got a leupold with no arc its alot better. just putting in my opion.

Rip Steele

X2, find something eye level and range it. If your hunting chop land or something on a tree line, just range a couple places on the ground and then in the tree. You want find much of a difference most of the time. When if does start to make a noticeable difference most deer will drop into a low shot anyway. I've never had any trouble with my Nikon 440 for the past three years, and never had to replace the battery neither.:clap:

Rodonne1

If you're gonna bowhunt you might as well get the one with a inclinometer. I bought the Leupold RX-II last year and really like it. They have since replaced that model with the RX-750, the RX-600 is a good one too, however, it doesn't have the inclinometer.

fowl61

I also have a Leupold RX-II. They are nice rangefinders and do work well. I personally think both Nikon and Bushnell make great rangefinders too. That being said, I agree with what some of the other guys have said. Most of the hunting we do in Ga. probably doesn't require the inclinator. I'd say buy one that you like and can afford. Then go out and enjoy your time in the woods!!!

GrandSlamHunter

I replaced my Leupold RX-II with the new RX-1000 and I love it. The menu and adjustments are much easier than the RX-II.

BowanaLee

I've had my yardage pro forever, got it when they first came out. As long as its working, I don't see a need to upgrade. If I did Id go with the newest technology.
I do the same thing as the guys above but I've clicked on things eye level and ground level so many times I know how much to take off.
Its around my neck in my avatar. The deer was 33 yds but I shot it for 30. Worked too ! :bounce:

Rip Steele

Here's a thread I did a while back about ARC complete with spreadsheet to help you determine if you need ARC:

Very good info.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=232577

That thread is funny no doubt. I done the math a long time ago about the intercept and slope of angles. y-y1=m(x-x1) It's not worth the money by no doubt. If they buy it to because it's waterproof then they need to take it off when they go swimming. :pop::pop: