dawson forest

srss

did anybody hunt dawson forest last weekend. me and my son went sat. evening and all day sunday we saw 3 does. the guy who went with us saw 3 does and a spike

Bowhunterga

I am sure you probably already saw my post in North GA Hunting reports but just in case you missed it. I connected with this nice buck Saturday afternoon. Was hunting off of Shoal Creek Road.

mvc-003f.jpg

mvc-005fa.jpg

srss

bowhunterga i didnt see your post till after i posted here thats a nice one. i was hunting in the cutover on the right about a half mile after you turn off 53. are you going next to next weeks hunt.

Bowhunterga

Yes, I am planning to hunt Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Unless I get REALLY lucky!!!! I doubt I will be on the Atlanta track this hunt though. I will most likely be hunting up on Wildcat or Burnt Mountain Tracts next week. I have not decided yet. I plan on ditching work a bit early on Wednesday, hiking in to one of 2 or 3 spots I have picked out and getting my stand and everything ready for Thursday morning. From the looks of things last week the rut should be in full swing by mid week. Although it is possible that it will be on the down turn on the norther tracts. Time will tell I guess.

What about you, are you planning on hunting DF next week?

GA DAWG

I will be there.Hunted the atlanta track last night for coon.Saw some great buck sign and it was new and fresh.Its Wayyyyyyyyyyy! back off the rd.I went in this place last spring and found lots of old sign.I guess he made it through the winter.I dont know if I'm gonna hunt it or not.I dont think I could get one out of the place alone.

srss

i am going to hunt wed and sat but i dont know where at yet. what tract do you think is best for bear

Bowhunterga

Wildcat and/or Burnt Mountain would be the best bets for bear. While Burnt Mountain has not been in the QDM area as long and might not be the best tract for a good buck, there are no doubt some on the tract. Wildcat would probably be the best bet for either a good buck or a bear. Keep in mind though that both of these tracts are MUCH more ruged than the Atlanta tract and have little vehicle access. If you are going to get very far away from the road it can be extremely tough going. Also, do not dismiss ANY of the DF tracts with regards to bears. There was a bear killed this season somewhere on the Atlanta tract according to one of the DNR officers that was working the last hunt. I forget if it was Robert or Barry that told me about the bear but it was not the first I have heard of killed on the Atlanta tract. I have seen the most bear sign on the northern most tracts though and plan on hunting up there myself next week.

Worst part about the upper tracts is there are almost no maps available for them. If you would like me to I can create an apporximate topo map for you and e-mail it to you sometime this weekend. It won't be perfect with regards to boundaries but I can get it pretty close. By next season I hope to have burnt mountain charted on my GPS pretty well but I have not spent much time up there to this point.

srss

if you have some kind of topo map for wildcat that would be great. i dont know much about any of it because last weekend was my first time hunting dawson as far as the rugged part goes i used to hunt cohutta a lot so it couldnt be much worse.thanks alot

Bowhunterga

I can create one for you from my topo software and save it as an image file or as a file you can open with wordpad and print from there. I will try and do that by the weekend. Won't take that long but sometimes my CRS disease interferes with my thought patterns!!!!! :D :D

GA DAWG

I would also try and get me a cart to take to wildcat.I killed a 139lbs 8pt on it last year.Took me 4 hours to get him to the truck.Also I will agree its the best place for bears.I have a few trail cam pics of one this year.He will go around 300lbs.Also a few hogs running around up there.

Bowhunterga

Dawg, have you hunted the Burnt Mountain tract any? I have heard it was good for Bear also. As is the smallish tract between WC and Burnt Mountain. The Turner Estate Tract I think it's called. Just curious.

srss

have either of you ever killed a bear i would love to. i shot at one two years ago while bowhunting cohutta i missed. i would like to get a hog to.

Bowhunterga

I have not as of yet. I have been lucky enough to see a few but they were either small or with cubs. I am holding out hope that this will be the year though!!!

GA DAWG

I have not hunted off burnt mt.I have hunted around the turner place,but I go in off steve tate rd.Lots of land back in there.Not many deer,but if you see one their is a good chance it will be a shooter.I road up burnt mt rd the saturday of the last hunt they were lots more people hunting it than I figured would be.I believe I'll let them have that part its STEEP.I have not killed a bear,but my buddy did years ago on dawson forest atlanta tract.It seems to me that most of the real good bucks in recent years have been killed on the amicaloa tract.Thats the only place I dont have a decent spot to hunt!

GA DAWG

Lots of buck sign showing up this week at the forest.Should be a great hunt come wednesday! :shoot:

Bowhunterga

I wish I could hunt Wednesday but I have to work. I do have Thursday and friday off though. I have still not decided where I am going to hunt. I think I will be hunting Wildcat. Across the creek at the end of the road behind the church off of Steve Tate. If I do I will be about 2 miles from the gate at the stream. GD, you gonna be hunting WC or Amicalola Tract? I have a couple of decent spots on Ami tract but one I only see does and the other seems to be popular with others that float down the stream and get out near the same area. Are you seeing rutting sign? Mind sharing which tract you saw the sign? PM if you would prefer. If you are gonna be hunting anywhere near me, maybe we can share a few stories before/after a hunt.

GL to all hunting DF this coming week.

GA DAWG

I just got back from DF coon hunting.Saw a 6pt and alittle up the rd a nice little 8pt.All the sign I've seen is on the atlanta track on shoal creek and its ruff in there and thick with blowdowns.It took 2.5 hrs the other night to go .59 miles in to the dogs and .59 miles out dern near killed me!Wildcat is to steep for me to turn these crazy coon hounds out so I cant say much about it,but I do know they are laying down good sign up there too.I will probably be hunting wildcat.Have not made my mind up yet.I believe you killed your deer close to my #1 spot I'll PM you and see.

GA DAWG

I killed a nice 4.5yr old mature 8pt on DF this morning.They are chasing does HARD were I was at.I saw bucks everyday harasing does.Then this morning it was on around my stand.Saw 10 deer by 7:20am.Before daylight they were running and grunting everywhere.

srss

good job. i`m planing on going back tomorrow i hope i get lucky. wed i saw a small 4 pt. and that was it.