dawson forest

Bowhunterga

Well, my total viewed for the 17th thru the 20th came to 2 bucks, a fork-horn and a basket 8 that will be a lot better next year than he was this season. Also saw a total of 9 does over the 3 and a half days I hunted. I decided to leave the wildcat tract yesterday afternoon and went back to the Atlanta tract. I did have 2 spots off of Clark Road that I had been wanting to try out so I headed over there and was set up in a tree ready to go by 12 noon. Within 20 minutes I could hear a buck running a doe in a thick stand of pines behind me. Grunting and thrashing all around but never saw the culprits. Then at about 4:30 I had the rest of my hunt spoiled. I know WMA land is public and I expect to be intruded upon from time to time but it never ceases to amaze me how totally un-ethical some people can be. :mad:

This appeared to be a father and son team, they were moving along the edge of a clearcut about 100 yards away from my position. I tried to get their attention and finaly the son (I think he was anyway) noticed me and stepped back out of the woods and tried to explain to the other party that I was where I was. He was told to go back and sit down. Now the other hunter circles around so that he is about 150 yards directly in front of me and starts bleating. Now the wind is blowing DIRECTLY at their backs and right into the only direction that a deer could possibly come into their view. Both of these individuals were completely unobscured from my line of sight and there is NO way they could not see me. I finally just gave up and left, admittdly rather noisely. I started to wait on them and give the father a piece of my mind but decided that it was best to just leave and not let my anger get the better of me. Plus I would never want to say the things I would have said to this guy with his son present.

Now anyone that knows me knows I will go out of my way to help anyone hunting dawson forest as I know the entire area very well. I would even love to take the younger of these two hunting and teach him how to treat other hunters and show him how to hunt. Truly was not his fault as I watched him TRY to do the right thing. Now, there was no one else parked within a mile of my vehicle on either side or on either side of the road, I checked!! :banginghe So it was a simple matter of not being polite enough to just move to the other side of the clearcut (Which would have been better for them anyway considering the wind direction.)

Sorry for venting but I needed to get this of my chest. Hope someone had some decent luck at DF this week. I heard there was a MONSTER taken but I have not confirmed this or seen any photos.

Last edited:

srss

sorry to hear you had some bad luck almost the same thing happened to me. i sat down for my evening hunt about one o`clock well about three i seen an orange vest coming down the hollow and they where about thirty yds. away when they noticed me i waved they and waved back and sat down against a tree. i would have said something but he was about twelve or thirteen and i figured his dad told him not to get out of that hollow. well anyway he sat till about 30 minutes before dark and left. but i didn`t see anything.

GA DAWG

Had a buddy hunted wildcat he saw a few deer nothing even close to a shooter.After I killed my 8pt he relocated to the atlanta tract.I did see a good deer killed on wildcat 5.5 year old.He was pretty nice.I thought they would have killed more deer,but mine made 9 as of friday morning.I could not believe it.I saw chasing and heard grunting everyday.It seemed to me that not many folks hunted after thursday morning.I heard alot of shooting wed and thur mornings.They were not getting checked.Must have been alot of ground checking going on. ::huh:

srss

i never made it back to wildcat but before the next hunt i will try and scout it a little bit.

Bowhunterga

I hope not Dawg. I am sure it happens but I would like to think people could be more mature than that. I think I am gonna do a bit of Scouting Wednesday. I still have a few spots that I have not hunted that could be productive. With the next hunt there should still be a few late does coming in, trick will be to get in some thick stuff and wait one out. I saw one basket 8 up on WC. Was not what I expected really. I think before next season I am gonna get way back in there and see what sign I can find. There has got to be some mature deer back in there. Trouble will be getting him out if you find him.

GA DAWG

I know there are some big mature deer on WC.I have proof of that by trail cam pics.I just cant find them during daylight hours.The one I killed up there last year was just pure blind luck!I guess I'll hunt my favorite spot on the atlanta track on the next hunt.It paid off the other day and I saw another buck but could not stop him to count his horns.I've never hunted it on the last hunt,but who knows maybe another shooter will show up.