Having consistency and accuracy problems. Help.

JKING

I have a new Hoyt Katera with a whisker biscuit rest. I have had the rig for a couple of months now and have shot it several hundred times. I am having alot of trouble with consistency.I can shoot 3 arrows and group perfectly and the 4th will be off 5 or six inches. I can have a shooting session in the yard and be doing well with it and the next day it is off. I have moved my sites countless times trying to get it right. I know it ain't the bow and it must be me. I know whisker biscuits are great hunting rests but are not really considered the most repeatably accurate rests available. I believe it is between the rest and lack of an anchor point that I use every time. I feel like I line up at the same point each shot but probably don't. My peep site is a true glow with rubber tubing- should I get a smaller peep? What is out there that I can use for an "anchor point"? I am planning on changing my rest also. I know this is not a target bow but it should do 3 or 4" groups at 30 yards if I do my part. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

lungbuster123

Your peep sight should be fine. I shoot a 3/16 and 1/4 peep. You can try a kisser to make sure your at the same point each shot. Did you buy the bow new?

JKING

Yes- i did buy her new. I have had it paper tuned since I got it and its good to go as far as that is concerned (as far as paper tuning goes anyway)

lungbuster123

Your strings and cables may have streched. They usally dont strech after shooting that long. They will usally do it after just a few shots, but I have heard of some streching after 500 shots. I would say make sure you have It sighted In, and just practice. I wouldnt keep adjusting your sight If you feel you have It sighted In correctly.

whitetaco02

There are a number of things it could be:

First, make sure where you grip your risor is consistent. (This is a biggie for me) I learned this one from Daddypaul, a member here and that has helped me more than anything in my shooting!!)

Second, make sure you are not torquing your bow.

Third, relax your bow hand and don't grab the bow after the shot. If you are using a wrist sling let the bow do the work. It isn't going anywhere.

Fourth, follow through and don't peek after the shot.

Fifth, make sure the draw length is good for you. Have somebody watch you draw it back while you are shooting and see what they say. Is your bow arm completely locked out or do you have a slight bend?

Sixth, make sure you are not "punching" the release.

These are just a few that I can think of right now.

Deerhead

How about your arrows? Are they under spined? Are they old? I have found old arrow have a tendency to become weak and lose their spine strength. Is there something loose on your sight? Maybe a striped screw somewhere. I had on my sight once and it was not very obvious. It can be so many things. Just need to check every screw, limb, string, cable... Hope that helps.

stuffer

could be lots of things like the guys said above my problems are in between the bow hand and the release hand to pin point it in between my ears I try to think too much while I'm shooting instead of just relaxing and letting the repetitive mechanics work just keep working at it

JKING

Thanks guys. I always get good advice here. I will check all the screws. I know I need to continually practice as I have been but when there is so much variance between strings of shots I know that I must not be doing something the same way every time. I have to center the flourescent yellow circle on my site in my peep site every time and I really feel like me doing that is where I am screwing up somewhere as it pertains to my anchoring point. That kisser thing sounds like it might work.

lungbuster123

Make sure you check them out. They dont cost much either.

Thanks guys. I always get good advice here. I will check all the screws. I know I need to continually practice as I have been but when there is so much variance between strings of shots I know that I must not be doing something the same way every time. I have to center the flourescent yellow circle on my site in my peep site every time and I really feel like me doing that is where I am screwing up somewhere as it pertains to my anchoring point. That kisser thing sounds like it might work.

Flaustin1

Grip torque, Grip torque, Grip torque! Same thing happened to me. I took my grip off and now shoot directly off the riser.

JKING

Think i figured it out

I was messing around with the bow again trying to figure out what i was doing wrong. I have been torquing the release with my index finger on every draw! I may end up getting a new release or getting use to no hand play on the release it self. I have a scott wildcat and i have been grabbing (torquing) the release part itself to help draw back and not letting up on it before i press the trigger. My groups have gotten wildly tighter since i stopped although my windage setting now needs to be adjusted to the left about 3". Thanks for all of yalls input!