Fly Box Outfitters

Doc_Holliday23

in Kennesaw. They are having some sort of 10th Anniversary thing this weekend... casting clinic, fly tying clinic, kayaks, sale, giveaways, etc. Anybody planning on going?

Georgia Hard Hunter

I was there yesterday for the first time, I thought the black guy running the shop (didn't catch his name)was very knowledgeable and friendly but I was dissappointed with the selection of tying materials after reading there website which made the place sound like a 1 stop shop for all fly fishing needs. I guess you can tell I made a special trip there because of the website. Long story made short I'll fight the traffic and go to the Hawk

bushidobam

Yup. Willie Perry is his name. I'm not sure the 'colorful' description was necessary though.

I've been going to FBO for several years now, and I'll keep going to him so long as he's in business, and I live ten minutes from The Fish Hawk.

The Fish Hawk is a little too rich for my blood over there in Buckhead, land of the aloof.

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
I like Willie, too (and buy from him when I can) but in all honesty, the Fish Hawk is cheaper on most tying items. I live five minutes from the Fly Box and I bought some floatant there this week but if you want selection of tying materials, you're better off going to Buckhead.

luv2drum

Yep, Willie is a nice guy. He really seems to know his stuff. I think he has as good of a selection as the Orvis store that is right up the street from the Fish Hawk. I have not made it into the Fish Hawk yet. The one time I tried, I found out that they close at 6pm and I got there at 6:10. I frequent Nature's Takle Box in Hiram. David and Christie really know their stuff and are super nice people. They have a really good selection of tying materials and David is great about ordering stuff that you are looking for. Cohutta Fishing Co in Cartersville is good too. Really knowledgable folks there too.

Doc_Holliday23

The one time I tried, I found out that they close at 6pm and I got there at 6:10.

That's why I went to FBO as well. I work downtown and left at 5:20 but still didn't think I could get to Fish Hawk by 6. I like Fish Hawk and I think the people there are pretty helpful, which I actually wasn't expecting first time I went in.

Willie was very nice, too, but they don't have the same selection. Still nice to have another option that's open an hour later. If I can I'll check out the anniversary sale this saturday. He made it sound like a big deal.

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yeah, I like Bass Pro too. It's a long haul from me but they have good stuff.

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
Willie is a great guy and I have bought a lot from him. I've invited him a few times to fish the Hiwassee with me but something keeps coming up on either side. He really need to get serious about his shop though... especially in the tying section. He caries some needed items for quick pickup.. but overall the shelves seem pretty bare most of the time. Bass pro carries a ton of stuff on the shelves but it duplicates many items so the overall selection is not that great either. Fish Hawk... they have gotten better over the years. Used to be, if you weren't there to drop a few hundred at least, they just didn't have time for you. I think the message got out to Gary and even he has changed his attitude it seems to me. But... it's still in downtown and a pain to go to unless your around that area mid day. The Orvis store down the street is Ok.. but I think the one up on Peachtree Commons is a better place and I have picked up some sweet deals on some close out rods before. And the lil lady doesn't seem to mind since there are so many stores there she can visit while I'm in Orvis. Truth is folks.. they all lack in some way or another. The best I've ever been to was in Jackson Hole and after I check my lottery ticket later today.... we may all go! :cool:

You will not find a nicer guy than Willie in the fly shop business in the Metro area. Yeah, he probably needs to stock more stuff but he knows what he is doing and he is a real fisherman. For a while there the Fish Hawk was all about salt water and not much about GA water but I hear they are getting better. The nicest person in the store was the dog.

Willie will order anythng you need so just let him know. He's a class act.