1st Turkey Hunt

bross07

Well, I got an invite from a buddy of mine yesterday afternoon to go turkey hunting. I have never been so I have been wanting to give it a go. My buddy runs a plantation down here in South Ga and he told me they have turkeys everywhere. I grabbed my shotgun, leafy suit and Lynch Fool Proof box call and off we went. The very first spot we set up on was in some bird woods in which they had a couple chuffa patches planted. We got settled in and I hit the call a couple time real lightly and heard one gobble back at me about 3 or 400 yards away. We got up and eased towards him a bit. We got set up by a big oak that had a thick, I mean thick bunch of scrub to my left. I hit the call a couple more times and he went at it again, this time very close. While watching for him, a hen comes right in front of us about 30 yards and then a jake right behind her. They stayed in front of us a while and then to my left here he came, full strut, long beard, coming down a fire break. My heart got to pumping! He came up to my left (right behind the thick, thick scrub) to within about 10 or 15 feet and gobbled again!!!! I could not see him well but man he was close!!! He stayed there about 4 or 5 minutes and we were just waiting for him to come in front of us by the hen and jake, I would have about a 15 foot shot.:banginghe My adrenaline is pumping, like when I saw my first deer in the stand. I have not had that feeling in a long time. He turned and went in the woods out of range and the hen and jake followed. I hit my call again and they would not come back into range. Got up a few minutes later to ease a bit closer and the hen spotted us and they took off. Did not get a shot but that was a rush!!! I should have just stood up and shot but I just knew he would come in front of us. DANG IT MAN! We tried a few more spots but did not get any more within range. I have the fever now! Not bad for our first time I guess........ I really wish I would have just stood up and shot. Oh well, maybe next time.

chadf

Turkey hunting is the best example of "if I would of done......, I would of killed him!"

I've pulled one or two this year, mainly, it was dang shouldn't of done that.....!

That rush is what puts me in the woods everyday I can!

buckwheat_8

Turkey hunting is the best example of "if I would of done......, I would of killed him!"

That rush is what puts me in the woods everyday I can!

Ditto on that one... a old hunting partner once told me that turkey hunting is full of what "ifs" then he went on to say, "if" earthworms had pistols birds wouldnt *bleep* with em