Ahhh, Illinois

reylamb

We just got back last night from Illinois and had a great time. We got 2 does that both went over 110 pounds field dressed. I missed a 125 class 9 pointer when I had a mental problem and did not seat the arrow nock all the way in the groove. The nock split on release and the arrow fluttered about 15 yards when the buck was standing about 32. I saw a 6 point that would break 130 with no problems and several other good bucks.

I let a 125" 8 point walk as he was trailing some does. He was at 18 yards and they were at 32 broadside. Did I let him walk because he was not big enough? Hardly, I let him walk because of the buck that came crashing through the dry creek bed behind me, I will attach a game cam pic of him at the end of this post. I just knew the big boy would come strolling in checking out the does and give me a great shot, so I let down on the 8. Well, the big boy grunted twice, sending the 8 flying across the creek bed and up the hill. It seems the does were not very interested in him either as they also took off flying. Well, although they were not interested in him, he was interested in them, and he took off after them, running past me at a whopping 15 yards. Oh well, that is bowhunting.

And all of this on public land even.

The following picture was taken 28 yards from my stand on a trail that came past 2 other stands within 300 yards. The picture was taken at 7am. There was only one hunter in the woods that morning, and he was above the buck about 500 yards away. You see, the pic was taken on Saturday morning the day before we had to leave. We had not seen any morning activity at all so we all decided to sleep in a little. This big boy passed 3 empty stands 1 hour after legal shooting light.

Anyway, without further adiou:

Attachments

• whopper.jpg
    whopper.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:

futuredoc

dang it. . .

I hate Georgia. . . that is all I have to say.

fd

Duff

:speechles WOW

Sounds like you had a great trip anyway rey!

GeauxLSU

:eek: I mean :eek: :speechles What I really mean is :eek: :speechles :banginghe
Man o' man, I'd be crying in my Wheaties right now...
Hey, at least you got to see the man. He doesn't even exist where I hunt. But I can still pretend... ;)
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

reylamb

My heart fell into my stomach when I checked the camera (digital) at around 11am for the afternoon. I was fortunate just to see him, even if it was at 20 mph. I could have forced a shot when he first crossed the creek bed as I had a slight windor. The thought of wounding an animal that awesome kept me from forcing the issue.

Anyone want to go up for shotgun season? I can tell you where to stay, and where to hang your stand. Shotgun tags are over the counter, and the lodge probably has room this weekend. I am attaching another picture. The light in the left corner is the porch lights from our cabin. This woodlot is actually part of the Shawnee Forest. I saw 3 deer in this small patch of woods that all would have easily made 130, and one was a 6.

Attachments

• whopper2.jpg
    whopper2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 335

ramblinrack

tough weekend rey...i hope you didn't sleep in to watch the clemson-duke game. WHAT A BUCK!!!!!!!

:speechles :speechles :speechles

reylamb

Fortunately, we did not get the game in Il, so I did not see the fiasco. Fire Tommy Bowden!!!!

Oh well, it was a great week hunting anyway.

reylamb

TOW, it was all public land, with some private land that was owned by the owner of the lodge we stayed at. We stayed at the Trail of Tear lodge at a whopping cost of $25/night. Ron Charles owns it and owns some land at the lodge where the pic was taken. He also has 2 other farms, one 120 acres and one 80 acres. All of his land is bordered by public land in the Shawnee Forest. We spent a few days hunting the Union County Conservtion Area, aka the refuge. It is only open for archery season for about 2 weeks, and not open every year. For what I saw on public land in the area, an outfitter does not make sense, at least not as long as Ron is only charging $25.

TOW

I know a fellow that owns Shawnee Hills Outfitters and he charges quite a bit. He does have lots of private ground though. He does guide on some public ground too.

I thought maybe you were with him.

Sounds like you have a heck of a deal there.

As I understand it the non-resident archery tags in Illinois is supposed to go over teh counter next year. At least that is the scuttlebutt..

If I can get a handicapped crossbow permit from them I might make my way back over there next year.

reylamb

I am hearing much the same rumor, with an increase in the fees, maybe substantial. Ron offers the same deal to anyone staying at his place. We had 10 North Georgia guys there during the 10 days I was there. He also plans on planting corn and soybeans on all of his farms next year, this season he did not get any planted. If a fella could find any acorns they would be watching a parade after the corn and beans are harvested. I searched hard for 5 days and found very little acorn crop anywhere.

If you could swing it, that refuge is phenomenal. Ron's lodge is only about 15 minutes away. We took our own food for dinner to cut down on the costs also, for 10 dinners it cost us $55 each, but I think they will have to find a new cook next year, I got tired of slinging food!!!!

futuredoc

archery tags

Archery tags going back to over the counter in Illinois? I hope you are right.

fd

WildmanSC

A Bird In The Hand Is Worth Two In The Bush!

Jeff,

Do you remember this old saying? The 8 pt, 125" that you was drawn on was the bird in the hand! :banginghe

Looking at the pics, I can see why you let down to wait on the Big Boy!!! :fine:

Dad

gabowman

Rey,

Sounds like you guys seen enough to make it an easy decision whether or not you'll be heading back north next year. :bounce: :bounce: Whatda ya think?!

GB

reylamb

The decision will be made simply on economics, if Illinois raises the NR license fees too much, I will not be going back. If they stay about the same, I will definitely be going back.