First one of the season

Redman54

My oldest drew first blood and is now on the top of the leader board for the Gracen crew. He's had several encounters with this buck since opening weekend but a good shot opportunity was never available. That changed yesterday evening. He called me right after he shot and said he was worried he shot too far forward. I told him just to ease out to his truck and I would meet him there with our Boykin. When I got there he was still second guessing his shot and said he should have just let him walk again. He said the buck was chasing a doe and both stopped about 30 yards out from him but he was standing behind some grape vines. He said the doe turned and started walking straight to his stand so he was sure the ole boy would follow. Instead, he turned and started walking back the way they came. He hunts out of a saddle and had to move his bow around the tree to get a shot. When he did, the doe picked him up and started blowing. The buck was now on alert, but was broadside at 40 yards. He said he thought he pulled the shot and hit way forward. We gave the buck an hour and eased back to his stand. We went to where he shot and found a few drops of blood. My Boykin hit the trail and for the first 10 yards we found nothing. Another few yards and we found his arrow which had good blood. From that point on we had no issue following the trail but I let my Boykin do his thing just for some confidence building. 50 yards from the shot, we found the ole boy piled up.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_5909.jpg
    IMG_5909.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5914.jpg
    IMG_5914.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 113

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator