How to make a burlap hog rub?

Jasper

Or whatever it's called......:)

I have a hog baiting permit and had good luck with corn and other attractants last year. I'd like to try the soaked burlap bag tied to a tree thing. A couple of questions -

Where do you get the bags?

Does it have to be USED motor oil? Since I don't have any, is there anything else that will work?

Is there anything else to it other than just tying it to a tree? Does it have to be refreshed every so often?

How well does it really work?

Thanks!

Apex Predator

does work well with burnt motor oil, but also very illegal to do.

Yep, it's not a good idea to pour used motor oil anywhere except in approved recycling containers. Find you a creosote fence post and set it in concrete. The like those for the same reasons. The treatment on the post isn't illegal.

Just BB

Jasper, Yep you just don't want to go pouring used motor oil out. The creosote post will work. I've seen a telephone pole rubbed thin before on a WMA.

Ben Athens

A piece of old carpet nailed to a tree works well. Put used motor oil or diesel fuel on it . Since you have a baiting permit it shouldn't be a problem. A quart of oil or fuel isn't going to destroy the environment.

At least that is BP's thinking.

Hunt&Fish

Or whatever it's called......:)

I have a hog baiting permit and had good luck with corn

I've had a rubbing post set up for several years. The pigs have worn it out. However, I've never seen one rub it. Like most hog activity in my area, it takes place at night.
If you've got a permit dump out a hundred pounds or more corn on an active hog trail. Set yourself up 40 yards from the bait at dark. You should be able to hear the hogs when they start feeding. Turn your flashlight on and hold it under the forearm of your rifle. You'll be able to see the hogs in your cross hairs.

Mojo^

I used to use an old railroad cross tie. I set it on top of a couple of cement blocks and tied it down tight with rope. About once a year I would make a mixture of gear oil and diesel and would swab down with an old paint brush. It doesn't take much, just enough to freshen the smell. If you live near a tack shop or some other store that sells horse supplies, buy a can of a product called KRESO D and mix it with the gear oil and diesel. KRESO D stinks to high heaven and smells just like fresh creosote, really strong.

Okie Hog

Best stuff for a hog rub is Creolin. Just spray it on a tree and refresh it every few weeks. Hogs know that something in Creolin is good for them.

Fact

A piece of old carpet nailed to a tree works well. Put used motor oil or diesel fuel on it . Since you have a baiting permit it shouldn't be a problem. A quart of oil or fuel isn't going to destroy the environment.

At least that is BP's thinking.

Not a good idea.:crazy:
One drop of motor or diesel fuel released into the water
supply will contaminate 1,000,000 gals. of water.

Post is the best idea. frydaddy