Dress code for burial?

ramsey

Overalls-shorts-favorite hunting cap, it seems not to matter as folks say- "thats the way he would have wanted to go"

What do you think?

PWalls

I normally only go to a funeral of an acquaintance or friend (never have gone just for fun). Therefore, out of respect for that friendship and for the lost loved one, I will wear a minimum of dress slacks and collared shirt with a tie (hot summers down here). 90% of the time, though, I wear a suit and tie.

ilikembig

I plan on going home the way the Lord brought man to earth. So Pj's will suit me just fine.

GeauxLSU

Makes no difference to me. If there's anybody around who it does make a difference to, they can call it.

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
Well - I've thought of a couple of pithy, funny, witty things to say in response - But, this really got me thinking (Oh no! My mortality!!!). Something we all face though - As for how to be buried - I think I'll leave that up to those left behind to dress me in a way that's the most comforting to them - Whatever that would be would be fine with me -- I'd suspect if that day came soon for me that it would be bluejeans and probably a shirt the kids had bought me...

FESTUSHAGGIN

i say whatever they were comfortable in, or was most memorable about them. my entire life i only saw my grandpa wear dress pants once or twice. his other daily dress was overalls. thats what he always had on. thats what he was buried in.

Agman

Here is an idea.

Updated: July 6, 2005, 2:27 PM ET
Family has unique viewing at funeral home

PITTSBURGH -- James Henry Smith was a zealous Pittsburgh Steelers fan in life, and even death could not keep him from his favorite spot: in a recliner, in front of a TV showing his beloved team in action.
Smith, 55, of Pittsburgh, died of prostate cancer Thursday. Because his death wasn't unexpected, his family was able to plan for an unusual viewing Tuesday night.
The Samuel E. Coston Funeral Home erected a small stage in a viewing room, and arranged furniture on it much as it was in Smith's home on game day Sundays.
Smith's body was on the recliner, his feet crossed and a remote in his hand. He wore black and gold silk pajamas, slippers and a robe. A pack of cigarettes and a beer were at his side, while a high-definition TV played a continuous loop of Steelers highlights.
"I couldn't stop crying after looking at the Steeler blanket in his lap," said his sister, MaryAnn Nails, 58. "He loved football and nobody did [anything] until the game went off. It was just like he was at home."
Longtime friend Mary Jones called the viewing "a celebration."
"I saw it and I couldn't even cry," she said. "People will see him the way he was."
Smith's burial plans were more traditional; he'll be laid to rest in a casket.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Ill be dead it wont matter

GeauxLSU

Branchminnow said:
Ill be dead it wont matter
But Branch I'll be there. I'll make sure they pretty you up. Well, given what they've got to work with and all....

:p

7401R

FESTUSHAGGIN said:
i say whatever they were comfortable in, or was most memorable about them. my entire life i only saw my grandpa wear dress pants once or twice. his other daily dress was overalls. thats what he always had on. thats what he was buried in.

Festuus,

I believe that is "overhauls", isn't it.

ramsey

Now ya'll don't get me wrong. I wear a suit and tie ever time I go to church which is a lot more than some of ya'll go hunting.Seems we bury people as we please because we KNOW that only the spirit, not the body will go before God. If I wore "overhauls" to church every Sunday, plant me that way. Coat and tie?-plant me that way. I don't think it matters what you wear to church as your spirit only meets God.--If it does not matter what you are burried in, then it should not matter what you go to church in.--Go into church with a good heart, and you are covered. I wear a suit and tie because my daddy and granddaddy did. If they had worn casual attire, I guess I would.I know where they are, and also know it would not make a bit of difference as to what they ***** to church. Do I want to be burried in a clown suit? NO- a cadilliac-NO. We all come to God, only through Jesus Christ, who through his sacrifice KNOWS our heart.

LJay

Retired Mod
7401R said:
Festuus,

I believe that is "overhauls", isn't it.

Nah, down here in the country It's overalls. Overhauls is somethin' you do to your car when it's broke.

DCarter001

Slacks and a golf shirt. I wear a tie every day to work, soI don't want one wrapped around me when I'm planted. It won't matter much, since it won't bother me any more, but I just hope the wife will not subject my body to that infernal device one more day.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
GeauxLSU said:
But Branch I'll be there. I'll make sure they pretty you up. Well, given what they've got to work with and all....

:p
Theres two women that think Im good looking mama and little minnow all others just dont matter.:p :bounce:

Back to the thread my grandpa, great uncle, and countless others that i know were buried in their overalls(a brand new pair BTW)

FESTUSHAGGIN

Branchminnow said:
Theres two women that think Im good looking mama and little minnow all others just dont matter.:p :bounce:

Back to the thread my grandpa, great uncle, and countless others that i know were buried in their overalls(a brand new pair BTW)
ive often thought mama might have a screw loose for marrying you, and little minnow just dont know any better yet.:whip: