Remington 700 year model

andlan17

I have an older Remington 700 in 308 that I have been trying to figure out what year it is from. I have looked up what serial codes are but I want to be sure. I believe WJ is an august 1962 model. Not sure what the 32 means. It has a 25XXX serial number which I would think would be an older model. If it is a 1962 model, that was the first year the 700 was released. What would you say the value would be for this gun in good condition?

Attachments

• IMG_1247.jpeg
    IMG_1247.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 57

Jester896

Senior Clown
Is it an ADL, BDL or CDL? It is hard to tell the shape from the small thumbnail posted. I would assume since it has the old Weaver see through sight that it also has fixed sights?

killerv

It's probably '62, only other option would be a '89 but their serial numbers started with a letter prefix by then unlike the earlier ones. More/better pics would certainly confirm. Those quiksites definitely scream 80s.

Looks like some freckling going on from that one pic, may can be cleaned up, may cannot. Can certainly be improved though.

andlan17

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it does have fixed sights, so i would assume it is a BDL. I will post a pic of the whole rifle this evening. Maybe that will help determine what it is.

Jester896

Senior Clown
it could have been an ADL too. If there is a floor plate it was BDL.
There is a good bit of range price wise between the two.

Jester896

Senior Clown
i didn't know that I knew when they started using pressed vs cut. Makes me want to dig out the 70ish L/A BDL stock I have to see what it was.

Jester896

Senior Clown
that is an ADL $300 90%-400 98% according to the Blue Book I have for the rifle.

it wasn't too long ago Wally World sold the synthetic version of the ADL for $379

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
The Rem 700 actions are selling for $500 and up now.

Jester896

Senior Clown
The Rem 700 actions are selling for $500 and up now.
not that there is a difference in the action itself but most of those I see are BDL with the bottom metal, screws and a trigger. You would be lucky to find reasonably priced bottom metal by itself I think. I may be off base...:huh: