What are some guns you look for at gun shows but never seem to find?

WaltL1

I haven't been to a "good" show in a while but I always looked for Mosin Nagants and just about any Mauser surplus.

Surplus is all but gone now. No more arsenal grade firearms for $99.00. The good ones make good sporter rifles.

I wish I had bought a LOT more of them at that price point.

I'd really like to have an arsenal grade Schmidt Ruben but they are as high as a commercial hunting rifle now.
Surplus is all but gone now. No more arsenal grade firearms for $99.00.
Those ^ are the days I miss. You could walk into most any gun show with a $100 bill and walk out with a nice surplus something or other.
Not any more thats for sure.

fauxferret

Gun show? You mean the flea market swap meet where I have to pay a cover to get in?

To name a few

Ruger Hawkeye in 256 Winchester Magnum

Whitney Wolverine the original not the Olympic repro

C-96 Mauser in decent condition, last couple I have seen were asking way over bluebook.

Those are really the last few I want to add to my collection. This seems to either be a stupid fall into it sorta situation or shell out big bucks. Unfortunately I am not old enough to remember when these were abundant or more affordable. Does not mean I won't pay a fair price but I also understand this is a sellers market. Although I hope we are towards the end of that spectrum after all this covid nonsense. I also hope those who overpaid due to the panic of the pandemic remember those who profited off of them. I know two stores who recently had to close their doors because of such practices.

Last edited by a moderator:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
The last "good" gun show I was at would have been about 1985, in the Macon Coliseum. Lots and lots of good tables.

Since then, it's been ALL Chinese this and that, AR this and that, Surplus this and that, and Pakistani knives.

If you DO run up on a nice piece of some kind, which is rare, it'll be higher than a cats back.

Too much junk to wade thru, nowadays, AND you want me to pay $12.00 to walk in??

Nah...

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Ruger #1 .308 Stainless, scarce these days.

Lilly001

I like the smaller local shows.
And while I will spend $ on a gun that hits my fancy button I mostly like tables with old stuff on them.
Holsters, slings, ammo carriers, and even fishing stuff.
I once bought out a guys stock of older used Penn spinning reels. The 1400-1500 size.
Got them for 10$ each and after clean up and new line I’ve used them for 10 years or so now.

bighonkinjeep

I keep an eye out everywhere for Savages with the adjustable muzzle brake in non magnum calibers. Especially the mid 1990s flatback models made right after Ron Coburn took the helm at Savage. Heck I'll grab just barrels if I can get em and prefer the medium contour fluted versions. Finding them at all is not easy, finding them right is even more difficult.
I was in Boise Idaho about 18 years ago and stumbled into the best "Gun Show" I've ever seen
It was in a rodeo grounds and was 5 acres of gun nuts paradise.

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
I'd like to have a cherry example of an older Browning SA 22.

Those are sweet little rifles and new or used, that's on the bucket list. Like I need another 22. :bounce:

Big7

The Oracle
I'd like to have a cherry example of an older Browning SA 22.

Those are sweet little rifles and new or used, that's on the bucket list. Like I need another 22.
Just found one in the GON Classifieds for 850$. Don't know if that's high or not.

Seems like you can get a new one for that but the ad didn't say if it was vintage or not.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I would like to find a XVR at a decent price. I see them from time to time for 1300 or more. I have a hard time paying that much for a gun I would shoot more than a dozen rounds a year.

The ammo is to blasted high to shoot it much more than that