What are some guns you look for at gun shows but never seem to find?

Robert28

I went to another big gun show this past weekend just to look and see what I could find. I’m always looking for a Winchester model 70 (pre-64 or after 64, doesn’t matter) and it hit me….I’ve never seen one for sale in all these years at any gun show I’ve been to. And I’ve been to a lot! Ruger M77? Always have several at every show. Remington 700’s? Plenty of those. I guess no one ever sells the model 70’s whether it’s a pre-64 or not. One thing I did see TONS of was Remington 1100’s. Dunno where they all came from all of a sudden but this show was flooded with them.

Big7

The Oracle
I've never seen a Model 70 at a gun show.

Prolly have to try on line stores or auctions to get one of them. Everything pre 64'.

Big7

The Oracle
I haven't been to a "good" show in a while but I always looked for Mosin Nagants and just about any Mauser surplus.

Surplus is all but gone now. No more arsenal grade firearms for $99.00. The good ones make good sporter rifles.

I wish I had bought a LOT more of them at that price point.

I'd really like to have an arsenal grade Schmidt Ruben but they are as high as a commercial hunting rifle now.

JonathanG2013

I went to another big gun show this past weekend just to look and see what I could find. I’m always looking for a Winchester model 70 (pre-64 or after 64, doesn’t matter) and it hit me….I’ve never seen one for sale in all these years at any gun show I’ve been to. And I’ve been to a lot! Ruger M77? Always have several at every show. Remington 700’s? Plenty of those. I guess no one ever sells the model 70’s whether it’s a pre-64 or not. One thing I did see TONS of was Remington 1100’s. Dunno where they all came from all of a sudden but this show was flooded with them.

I have a Winchester model 70 in 270. Fine shooting gun.

Think it would be cool to find a Desert Eagle or Single Action Colt 45 Schofield

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Mauser 98 (unsporterized)
Always wanted to have a rifle built on that action.

Big7

The Oracle
Mauser 98 (unsporterized)
Always wanted to have a rifle built on that action.
Best chance for one of them is Mitchell's Mausers.

They sell in crate, arsenal grade. They used to be less than $300.00 but no telling now. K98's only. Never seen them carry the Gewehr 98.

I wish I had bought a few.

And.. If you are just going to use the action, why wouldn't you be able to use a sporter? The rest is getting tossed anyway.

earlthegoat2

Pretty much anything rare and valuable at bottom feeder prices.

I used to always be on the lookout for a Smith 48 or 648 pre-lock. I have since lost interest.

Truth is that I don’t go to gun shows to find guns to buy. I go to look at guns. I treat gun shows like a museum where everything’s for sale.

Anymore I like getting any guns and shooting related books, reloading books, reloading equipment like presses and trimmers, etc., and casting items like molds, gas checks, lead, lead pots, etc. And old scopes.

notnksnemor

Best chance for one of them is Mitchell's Mausers.

They sell in crate, arsenal grade. They used to be less than $300.00 but no telling now. K98's only. Never seen them carry the Gewehr 98.

I wish I had bought a few.

And.. If you are just going to use the action, why wouldn't you be able to use a sporter? The rest is getting tossed anyway.
Isn't the original a straight bolt?
I was wanting to have the bolt angle customized for my paws.

JWF III

Deals. I never can seem to find a deal anymore.

Reasonably priced Winchester 73s and 92s. And 1st Gen Colt SAA. Everybody thinks they’re made of gold. (Then again, I’m the same. It would take a premium to get any I have from me.)

Wyman

Big7

The Oracle
Isn't the original a straight bolt?
I was wanting to have the bolt angle customized for my paws.
Most military firearms of that era are "straight bolt" meaning the bolt handle sticks straight out to the right side.

The Schmidt Ruben was unusual in that to cycle the bolt you would just pull it straight back with no rotation of the bolt handle. "Straight pull".

It's a lot faster to cycle than a typical bolt gun and has less moving parts to get fouled.

I"m surprised more from the late teens up to 1960's weren't built that way.

notnksnemor

Most military firearms of that era are "straight bolt" meaning the bolt handle sticks straight out to the right side.

The Schmidt Ruben was unusual in that to cycle the bolt you would just pull it straight back with no rotation of the bolt handle. "Straight pull".

It's a lot faster to cycle than a typical bolt gun and has less moving parts to get fouled.

I"m surprised more from the late teens up to 1960's weren't built that way.
It was only a dream from my youth.
I had always envisioned a custom rifle with a Mauser 98 action and a Steyr (flat if you will) style bolt and a Monte Carlo black walnut stock.
Really never got past that as far as caliber.