Model 12 Winchester

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Was the model 12 the one that was bad about slam firing ? Or was that a different model ?

Yep. I have one of the very older Model 12`s. Hold that trigger down and every time you pump it it shoots. It`s called to 'trombone' it. It`ll clean out your house, an alley, or wherever it`s pointed. Especially when it`s loaded with #1 buckshot.

jrickman

Yeah, unless the stock looks like sawdust and the barrel is silver on the outside and orange on the inside, you might have yourself a good deal there. I'd be looking for signs it was toted a lot and shot very little. If the blue is worn off the receiver, but the inside still has a lot left, that's a great sign.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Blue Book has
28 or 30" barrel FC
$800 for 100%
$650 for 98%
$550 for 95%
$450 for 90%
subtract 50% if it has a non factory Cutts
Add 50% for factory installed Cutts
Add 20% for 32" barrel
Add 20-40% for Winchester solid rib depending on condition
Add 50-60% for Winchester milled VR
Add 10% for pre-WWII mfg

if it has a Y before the serial number it was built between 1964-1980
Nickle Steel barrel models were made between 1912-1931
A premium should be added for shorter more open choke barrels

book is a couple of years old

Gator89

Most slam fires occur by accident when the firing pin is stuck in a position that allows it to protrude from the bolt causing an unintended discharge when the bolt closes on a subsequent round. Slam fires can result in semi-autos going full auto.

longrangedog

Here's one on GB...$900 buy it now.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/938338020
Do you want a "made in Japan" Model 12 like this one or an older USA made model 12. The USA model 12 in 16 gauge from the early 1900's is prized as a light, fast pointing grouse gun. Some had 2-1/2" chambers and you'd be limited to specialty ammo suppliers. I had a Y model 12 and liked it OK. I couldn't pick it up without thinking about the made in Japan aspect. I'm 72 and in my formative years "made in Japan" generally meant cheap, or junk. I know that isn't necessarily true now.

Hillbilly stalker

Yep. I have one of the very older Model 12`s. Hold that trigger down and every time you pump it it shoots. It`s called to 'trombone' it. It`ll clean out your house, an alley, or wherever it`s pointed. Especially when it`s loaded with #1 buckshot.
Our old patrol shotguns were Ithica's. You could hold the trigger back and keep shucking it and it would keep spitting them out.(y)

Lindseys Grandpa

It will knock your shoulder out of socket if you don't hold it right . I have one handed down from a great uncle . He lived in Kentucky mountains for awhile and the story was he was barred from using it at turkey shoots .

bullgator

I have a 28ga. skeet model 12 made in 1937. The chamber is 2 7/8” and I even have a half a box of those shells.