I'd like to see more 'self defense' oriented factory options in sub gauges

lampern

While 12 gauge is still by far the most popular shotgun "caliber" in the US for personal defense, I wish companies would put more offerings out there for 16, 20, 28 and 410 gauges.

I know some 410 loads were put out there for revolvers but still.

Some good 16 and 20 gauge loads make sense as a number of folks own these shotguns.

earlthegoat2

At one time Mossberg and Remington were making pump shotguns in 20 and 410 with extended magazines, PGOs, rails, and furniture options.

Remingtons options are very limited these days but I think Mossberg is still producing. Definitely the Shockwave.

sleepr71

20 ga Buckshot & Slugs are readily available. I wish somebody would offer Copper plated BB’s,in a high brass 2 3/4 20 ga shell. I’d prefer that,inside the home. Doubt we will see anything for 16 & 28 ga…just not enough demand.

lampern

20 ga Buckshot & Slugs are readily available. I wish somebody would offer Copper plated BB’s,in a high brass 2 3/4 20 ga shell. I’d prefer that,inside the home. Doubt we will see anything for 16 & 28 ga…just not enough demand.
Only standard hunting slugs and #3 buck in 20 gauge

I have seen #1 buck in 20 gauge

Jester896

Senior Clown
i had some wild idea that using shotguns for HD was the ability to not over penetrate and maximum hits. Doesn't the copper plated stuff do just that over penetrate?

is it like 20 pellets of #3 in a 2 3/4 shell? that's better than 20 shots from a .25ACP at 15 yards...do you need more:huh:

transfixer

i had some wild idea that using shotguns for HD was the ability to not over penetrate and maximum hits. Doesn't the copper plated stuff do just that over penetrate?

is it like 20 pellets of #3 in a 2 3/4 shell? that's better than 20 shots from a .25ACP at 15 yards...do you need more:huh:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they penetrate further because they don't deform as easily , I mean they talk about them not deforming during the choke restriction as a result of the copper plating

GunnSmokeer

I've tested penetration of number #1 and #2 buckshot from my 20 gauge shotgun with an 18.5 inch cylinder bore barrel

by shooting fresh soft pine boards (scrap from recent building project).
I found the little (.20 caliber?) lead pellets would only penetrate about an inch to 1.3 inches in that soft wood. They would not relivly penetrate a 2 x 4 board.

I shot the wood from about 15 yards of distance --because I want each pellet to strike independently and not have the wound channels contaminated by two or more pellets overlapping their paths of travel.

In comparison both 22 long rifle 40 grain solids, and 9 mm 115 grain full metal jacket bullets usually penetrated 2 of the 2X4 boards, which is over 3 inches of wood.

BOTTOM LINE: I think of the penetration of the buckshot that is available in 20 gauge, two and three-quarter inch shells, is "barely adequate."
I will use the shotgun for home defense, however I would prefer carrying a load that had a larger size buck shot available.

GunnSmokeer

So few people have 16 gauge shotguns these days I can understand that ammo companies don't wanna make buckshot for them. Today's gun collectors who have 16 gauge guns probably only take them out once in a while to shoot birds, or bust some clays for sport, but they don't think of these guns in a home defense role.

Which doesn't really make a lot of sense because anybody who used to use their 16 gauge shotgun for sport, but is now getting old and would like to convert it into a home defense shotgun, ought to be able to do so by bobbing the barrel and maybe buying a tactical flashlight or laser sighting unit for it.

But today they will be stymied by the lack of an effective load when they go shopping for ammo.

sleepr71

I’ve never shot a human,but have shot Coyotes at 50-60yds with #4 Buck out of a 12 ga & multiple pellets penetrated completely through. That’s about 6-7” of penetration through a critter with a tough hide. BB’s won’t penetrate as deep,but a load of BB’s slamming into flesh at 1200fps…makes a terminal sound:). Inside home distances…most shotgun loads have only spread out to about a fist sized group anyway. It’s all still clumped together ;)

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Reading and learning.
I'm assuming open bore barrel on all comparisons.

Big7

The Oracle
or 41 pellets in the case of 3in mag 12ga with #4 buck :) and I think my 2 3/4 loads of #4 buck have 27 pellets also ?
Or 54 pellets of #4 out of a 3 1/2 in 12 guage.

pacecars

I think a load of #6 out of a 20 gauge Remington 870 Express youth model with a 21” barrel is perfect for home defense. It is less likely to penetrate walls and unless they are wearing body army is likely to stop them