I'd like to see more 'self defense' oriented factory options in sub gauges

ryanh487

I think a load of #6 out of a 20 gauge Remington 870 Express youth model with a 21” barrel is perfect for home defense. It is less likely to penetrate walls and unless they are wearing body army is likely to stop them
Bird shot is for birds. Lethal force should be lethal and with shotguns on a man sized target that means buckshot.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I think a load of #6 out of a 20 gauge Remington 870 Express youth model with a 21” barrel is perfect for home defense. It is less likely to penetrate walls and unless they are wearing body army is likely to stop them
Knock them off their feet. 3” hole in. Not much out.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I don't know.

I've heard people say buckshot below #1 buck is not effective for self defense.

Remember this and you can quote me on it. A shotgun is the deadliest short range weapon ever invented by man. At close range it doesn`t really matter what the shotgun is loaded with. It`s gonna leave a big hole in whatever you shoot.

Have you ever shot a watermelon at close range with a load of #8 shot?

transfixer

I've killed coyotes with those. They kill on one end and cripple on the other. Every time I touch one off out of my 835 I wake up 3 days later talking to Elvis.

I've shot a 3 1/2 in 12ga turkey load ,, one time , that was enough for me, I had a single shot break barrel 10ga for many years , shot turkey loads and buckshot out of it, I think the 3 1/2in twelve kicked harder !

furtaker

I've shot a 3 1/2 in 12ga turkey load ,, one time , that was enough for me, I had a single shot break barrel 10ga for many years , shot turkey loads and buckshot out of it, I think the 3 1/2in twelve kicked harder !
The only thing the 3.5 buckshot loads give you other than recoil is the number of pellets in the shell. The 2.75 and 3in loads actually have higher fps and more penetration.

transfixer

I've got one of the 870 youth models in 20ga, don't really plan on using it in home defense, cause I have a 12ga 870 with a 18in brl for that, but I wouldn't hesitant to use the 20 if I had to, at distances inside the home, it might not be an instant lethal hit, depending on where you aimed, but ain't many going to keep going hit with a handful of birdshot at close distance, cause it stays together pretty tight out to 10yds, its gonna make a mess !

Jester896

Senior Clown
Remember this and you can quote me on it. A shotgun is the deadliest short range weapon ever invented by man.
I think they pretty much proved that in WWII with those Winchesters they used.

if the 20ga and 12ga load both move at 1200fps from the muzzle...the only difference is the amount of pellets. if you get hit with 10 22gr pellets from either of them..granted it is less than 1/2 the speed of a 223 round....that went clean through you...what difference will it make if it came from a 12 or 20ga...

asking for a friend

Last edited:

pacecars

I am pretty sure at distances in most houses the 20 gauge birdshot will work, especially to the face. My shotgun stays in the safe and they will have to deal with my EDC X9. If you reload shotguns and really want the best load I would load TSS in 2, BB or T in a 20 ga and be well prepared. It is expensive but so is dying

sleepr71

BB’s are cheap,and penetrate good enough to roll Coyotes at 50 yds. I can’t imagine a human that’s as tough as a ‘Yote..unless they are revved up on PCP or something..in which case..I have 4-5 more shots left. Within 10-15 ft…even a clump of Birdshot will kill at 1100-1200 fps…so inside the home…anything will work. ;)

leroy

Ive got a fully loaded cut down 870 hanging in living room closet and 20 ga fully loaded in bedroom among handguns scattered hidden throughout house. Really like the strong gun magnets.

bighonkinjeep

Maybe relevant, maybe not, and definitely not sub gauge, but firsthand a 12ga 3" remington premier 2oz Turkey load of copper plated #4 shot will dang near decapitate a wild hog at roughly 20 yards.
875gr of copper plated lead at 1300fps at indoor distance and somethings gonna need more than a bandaid.

Jester896

Senior Clown
the shot string on a Winchester 3 1/2" #6 Turkey load looks to me like it is about 18" around and 6' long at the top of a pine in planted pine sized trees at first cut....not a Hornets nest I want any part of...crow sure didn't like it...poof

Big7

The Oracle
I've killed coyotes with those. They kill on one end and cripple on the other. Every time I touch one off out of my 835 I wake up 3 days later talking to Elvis.
They are real fun out of my 3 1/2 inch chambered H&R lightweight turkey gun.

Elkbane

A 20 ga youth model 870 with an extension mag and the Fed Premium TSS 2.75" turkey loads and you're set. From what I've seen on the way Turkeys react to getting hit with them, I have to think it will make almost any man stop what they are doing right quick.... Not just at living room distance, I'm talking about "down by the mailbox" distance. It will absolutely shred an arm, leg, neck, face....

I've got 7's loaded in mine...

Elkbane

Dub

Just kidding. That guy ^^^^ is a whimp.

:rofl:

I've never much felt the sting of 3.5" magnum turkey loads when sighting in. Just sitting upright and roll with it.

I did, however, get CRUNCHED when shooting at a bird while leaning back comfortably against a tree.....that sucker went off and my shoulder ate every bit of it. :hair:

rosewood

Ive got a fully loaded cut down 870 hanging in living room closet and 20 ga fully loaded in bedroom among handguns scattered hidden throughout house. Really like the strong gun magnets.
I acquired a bunch of computer hard drive magnets. We used to have a computer guy at work that stripped out the copper and gold from old computers and he had the magnets left over. 1 magnet will hold about 12 lbs. I put heat shrink tube over them and they will hold any gun I want and didn't cost me nothing but heat shrink. :)

Rosewood

Latest posts