I'd like to see more 'self defense' oriented factory options in sub gauges

rosewood

I ran the numbers a few years ago and seems like a 12gauge 3" Turkey shot is something like 70 FT*LBS of recoil energy whereas a 30-06 is about 20. That gives you some perspective.

Using TSS greatly increases the chance of over penetration, that stuff is dense.

Inside the home, you are looking at no more than maybe 7 yards for an encounter. Most any shotgun load is gonna kill at that distance. The shot doesn't have time to spread out and is almost like shooting with a slug.

Rosewood

rosewood

Just kidding. That guy ^^^^ is a whimp.

:rofl:

I've never much felt the sting of 3.5" magnum turkey loads when sighting in. Just sitting upright and roll with it.

I did, however, get CRUNCHED when shooting at a bird while leaning back comfortably against a tree.....that sucker went off and my shoulder ate every bit of it. :hair:
When patterning and testing Turkey loads, I use the Lead Sled, no since beating myself up.

Rosewood

B. White

I ran the numbers a few years ago and seems like a 12gauge 3" Turkey shot is something like 70 FT*LBS of recoil energy whereas a 30-06 is about 20. That gives you some perspective.

Using TSS greatly increases the chance of over penetration, that stuff is dense.

Inside the home, you are looking at no more than maybe 7 yards for an encounter. Most any shotgun load is gonna kill at that distance. The shot doesn't have time to spread out and is almost like shooting with a slug.

Rosewood

I gave my daughter a pump and some buckshot, but told her to keep it loaded with birdshot for around the house cleanup. At <7 yds the target won't know the difference in shot or gauge.

I have a Mossberg Bantam 20 I had picked up for something lightweight to tote during turkey season. After the first few rounds of Longbeard I left it at home. It was brutal and less fun than my old 10 ga single shot.

transfixer

I gave my daughter a pump and some buckshot, but told her to keep it loaded with birdshot for around the house cleanup. At <7 yds the target won't know the difference in shot or gauge.

I have a Mossberg Bantam 20 I had picked up for something lightweight to tote during turkey season. After the first few rounds of Longbeard I left it at home. It was brutal and less fun than my old 10 ga single shot.

I gave my daughter a Mossberg Bantam 20 for home defense, with a few boxes of buckshot and a couple boxes of birdshot.

a while back I came across a deal on a 870 youth model 20ga, picked it up for myself, but haven't shot any turkey loads or buckshot through it as of yet,

lampern

Saw some Barnes brand #3 buck for 20 gauge personal defense

Way pricier than standard Federal or Winchester

Not sure the difference though

bighonkinjeep

There are quite a few duck and goose loads I'm pretty sure would be effective stoppers and theyre nade for most any bore you choose.
I saw a 28ga turkey tactical on gunbroker the other day. As with many dedicated turkey shotguns had q lot of attributes popular on home defense shotguns.

Latest posts