Burning on "WMA X"

HucK Finn

I have not been all over "WMA X" by any means, but I have noticed over the past few weeks that it would appear that the Forestry Commission has been conducting a lot of controlled burns on some pretty big tracts.

My question is ( sorry if this has already been addressed, but I did do a search and could not find anything) how will the birds respond to this so close to the season? Will they be back in there as soon as the smoke clears, or will they stay out until the underbrush starts to grow back?

Last edited:

deacon13

In SC they always seem to burn our WMAs the week of turkey season. Had one fired up gobbling at every sound last year in the burned area while it was still smoking.

Nitro

Banned
This.

Burns are outstanding turkey habitat improvements.

A little tougher to hunt , due to the increased visibility (for you and the birds)... just set up on the edges.

Good luck on "WMA X"

I've seen strutters with the wood still smoldering....take advantage of these areas bc it becomes key food sources AND all of those Fall leaves have been burned up---in other words you can walk through these areas without being detected bc the leaves won't be crunching under your feet

rutandstrut

I have seen them out in a burned area while it was still smoking, Strutting and Feeding! Fire is the only that some seeds can be released so that they can grow! After the area gets a little rain, you will be amazed at how fast it greens up! Turkeys will be all over!

I killed my first Gobbler in a green patch that was created by a lightning strike which started a fire...The bird came into my calling, strutted in the green patch and I shot him at 10 yards!

HucK Finn

This.

Burns are outstanding turkey habitat improvements.

A little tougher to hunt , due to the increased visibility (for you and the birds)... just set up on the edges.

Good luck on "WMA X"

Sorry Nitro, I will get the hang of this sooner or later.

Tucaway

Burned about 10 acres Saturday. Rode around at 5:30pm yesterday afternoon enjoying the smell of the burn and ran 3 hens and a gobbler out of it.

GA DAWG

They been burning the crap outta WMA Y up here...Most burning I've ever saw on it..Gonna be a good year I think..

Since I saw the original post before it was editted, I know which WMA the OP is referring to. I will be hunting "WMA X" during week #2 and/or week #3 unless I'm covered up in birds on our Washington County land. I sure hope they burned one particular area on one particular road. I couldn't even get to my favorite spot last season because the area had grown up so much since the previous season.

GAMHUNTER35

yea they hav burnt alot of chickasaw an are still cutting trees got the birds moving around alot .going to hav to check on my birds friday

ChristopherA.King

Man they have been logging forever up here on the wma and all last week they were burning hopefully the burn will bring the birds!!

fatduckboy

if you burn they will come

Public Land Prowler

I have not been all over "WMA X" by any means, but I have noticed over the past few weeks that it would appear that the Forestry Commission has been conducting a lot of controlled burns on some pretty big tracts.

My question is ( sorry if this has already been addressed, but I did do a search and could not find anything) how will the birds respond to this so close to the season? Will they be back in there as soon as the smoke clears, or will they stay out until the underbrush starts to grow back?

They love em..at my work we burn about 8 months out of the year,we burn 80,000 to 120,000 acres per year...They will go back in sometimes while it is still burning..burns are good..

HucK Finn

Thanks Guys.

creekrocket

I've seen strutters with the wood still smoldering....take advantage of these areas bc it becomes key food sources AND all of those Fall leaves have been burned up---in other words you can walk through these areas without being detected bc the leaves won't be crunching under your feet

:cheers:

Wes

I walked through that burn on WMA X a few weeks ago the week after they burned it and thought to myself...I am going to come back here and hunt some turkeys! Gobble Gobble.