Etowah Float Question

Swab

I want to do about a 3 hour float down the Etowah ending at the Knox Bridge ramp. Can someone suggest a good spot to put in to accomplish this? Thanks a bunch.

allenww

Etowah float

In order to get to Knox in three or four hours, you must begin (far as I know) on private property.

The last public put-in is at the ball fields below Cherokee High, half a dozen hours - unless you have a motor - from Knox.

wa

ted_BSR

In order to get to Knox in three or four hours, you must begin (far as I know) on private property.

The last public put-in is at the ball fields below Cherokee High, half a dozen hours - unless you have a motor - from Knox.

wa

Yup, you can also put in at Boling Park in Canton, but it only saves you 30 minutes. It is a nice float, but hardly any flow the last half. Lots of paddling.

Swab

Thanks for the info, I guess we'll just make a day of it. Does the 6 hours include a "break" or will we need to paddle the whole time to make it in 6 hours? Are there any places farther up river to put in and maybe take out at Boling Park that would take about 3 or 4 hours? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to burn the wife out on her first river trip.

allenww

Etowah river trip

One of the easiest and prettiest floats is that part of the river that flows through the "Lockheed Property", now owned by the City of Atlanta.

There is a public parking/canoe launch on Hwy 9 north
of Cumming at the river. At the other end of the property, there is an "honor pay" lot (not attended).

This is about a three to four hour fish and float.

You will enjoy it more if you get someone to drop you off
and pick you up. The takeout is not attended, and the road it is on is not heavily traveled.

wa

chickenhawk

You can put in on East Cherokee and float to Canton but i would set asid a whole day. I have been down from yellow creek rd to 372 can be done in six hours for sure and old federal to yellow creek which can be done in 4 or less if you paddle. Old federal isn't the easiest place to put in and yellow creek you have to park on the north side of the bridge and carry the canoe a little ways.