Float Tube

I just picked up a float tube so I have a couple of questions for any float tube guys.

Is the front bar stabilizer bar really necessary? The tube seems pretty rigid without it and it seems like it would just get in the way.

Can I get away without using fins? I would like to stop at times and get out of the tube and would rather not bother with taking the fins off and then putting them back on constantly.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Anvil Head

Pretty tough to maneuver in the water without flippers, especially moving water.
Bar also helps at times but gets in the way at other times. Guess it depends on how you fish.
I've got a pretty nice one that I don't use anymore since I got my yak. Like to drive home in dry britches.

brutally honest

Can I get away without using fins? I would like to stop at times and get out of the tube and would rather not bother with taking the fins off and then putting them back on constantly.

You don’t have to use fins but, as AH noted, fins make moving around much easier (and faster.) If a storm comes up and you want to get off the water fast, you will appreciate the fins.

brutally honest

FYI: it’s easier to walk backwards in fins. I always set up my tube near the water, walked backwards into the water, and sat down in the tube.

gunnurse

Flowing water and float tubes don’t mix well. Ask me how I know. Could you imagine going down the Twenty Rock on the ‘Hooch in a tube? :eek2:

Pretty tough to maneuver in the water without flippers, especially moving water.
Bar also helps at times but gets in the way at other times. Guess it depends on how you fish.
I've got a pretty nice one that I don't use anymore since I got my yak. Like to drive home in dry britches.
Thanks, I guess I'll pick up a pair of flippers since everyone agrees they help

brutally honest

Sounds like a good idea. I was thinking about a small telescoping paddle but ping pong paddles may be the way to go

PP paddles work but:

1) they’re slower than fins and

2) they keep your hands filled with something other than a rod and reel.

Fins for me, but use whatever works for you.

seachaser

Fins for sure and the bar just keeps thing in place. I had a older float tube that was a basic truck tire and the u shape is much better on a long float in my opinion.