Mounting a flatscreen on the wall

243Savage

Ok, I don't want to see this thing come crashing down. :cry:

Dead center of the wall I want to mount it on doesn't give me a stud that I can secure the wall mount to. If I locate the mount over toward the studs, it puts the TV way off center. Will heavy duty drywall anchors be ok for this? The best I can tell is that its 1/2 inch drywall and the tv weighs 52 pounds. The mount adds another 12 pounds.

NOYDB

BANNED
Paint a couple of 2x4s to match the wall. Have them long enough to cover 3 studs. Drill pilot holes and use 4" screws. Use six per 2x4 2 at each end and 2 in the middle. Place them at the height you want, and as far apart up and down, as the mounting holes for the TV mount.

Attach the TV mount where ever you want from there.

The wall would have to come down for the TV to fall.

funderburkjason

How wide is the mount. I would think that you would be able to get some screws into a stud on at least one end. On the other end you can use some toggle bolts. On the end you find the stud put you some good 3 inch screws in. The other end where you use the toggles will not be holding much weight. Done this many times,

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Yep most of the mounts are hinged and some are also articulated in the center of the arm. This allows the mount on the wall to be positioned to one side of the TV by a good bit.

If not the furring strips mounted to the surface of the wall should work nicely.

Capt Quirk

I mounted a 32" using drywall anchors, and even did it poorly. The tv never budged, even with the occasional door slams.

bamaboy

I used 1/2' PLYWOOD PAINTED THE SAME COLOR AND ATTACH THAT to the studs and then mount the TV to the plywood sorry did not realize caps lock was on!

MonroeTaco

There are many types of drywall anchors that can handle 50 lbs or more.

Nugefan

the " E-Z Ancor " by Bulldex have some that are reated at 75 lbs each ...

or cut into drywall and mount a 2 X 6 to studs and then mount TV ..

pnome

I wouldn't use drywall anchors if I were you. I'd do what NOYDB suggested.

rjcruiser

Your interior walls don't have 16" on center studs?

If not, I'd either do what NOYD described or put studs in behind the drywall for a cleaner look. I wouldn't trust drywall anchors...but that's just me.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I wouldn't use drywall anchors if I were you. I'd do what NOYDB suggested.

X whatever. Take your mount back and get an articulated one. That way you can anchor to the stud.

donald-f

My wide screen is mounted on tv stand but the mount is adjustable so if I wanted to mount on wall the mounts will adjust to where the studs are.