Question on owning a gun

LoneWolf83

Back in November 2009 both me and wife were arrested for DV for getting in a fight. ALL charges were dropped nothing ever came of the case. Well I have tried to buy a weapon but have been denied no idea why exactly guy at the shop couldn't tell me why.First question is Can I buy a weapon since the charges were dropped and nothing ever came of it? Is there some kind of waiting period of years or whatever that I have to wait out?

Also back in 2005 was arrested for criminal damage to property long story short got in fight beat the crap out of guys car I was arrested. Pled guilty paid fine was left off of probation later the next year. I was also given first offenders act and was told it would all be erased once I completed everything...so not sure which of these is tripping me up for not being able to get a gun.Maybe we have some lawyers or someone familiar with all of this who can help me out.

greg_n_clayton

If it still shows you are under inditment, you will be turned down. It may be that the DA's office has it on the back burner as so they can bring it back up iffin' ya'll don't behave for a certain amount of time. What county you in ??

Backlasher82

You didn't give very much info about either case but I imagine beating up a car with a baseball bat would be an easy way to do more than $500 damage and get yourself a felony charge.

You could be facing 2nd degree criminal damage charges if you:

1. Intentionally damage someone else’s property without their consent and the damage is valued at more than $500, or

2. Recklessly or intentionally, by fire or explosive, damage someone else’s property.

This charge is a felony and has a possibly penalty of 1 to 5 years in prison.

Ref: O.C.G.A. §16-7-23

Adjudication under the First Offenders Act does NOT give you a clean record. It gives you a clean record as far as employers, etc are concerned, that is to say you have a clean record as far as the general public is is concerned. However, the NCIC is available to law enforcement, and that includes background checks for gun purchase, and it will still show a felony conviction.

biggsteve

Gone But Not Forgotten
get a lawyer. he'll run a check on you. simple.

my son-in-law had a domestic battery against him. cost lots of $$$ to make it 'go away', but now he's got his ccw, and a ton of guns.

you need a lawyer. period.

nkbigdog

If it still shows you are under inditment, you will be turned down. It may be that the DA's office has it on the back burner as so they can bring it back up iffin' ya'll don't behave for a certain amount of time. What county you in ??

Yep it is still there, for 25 bucks go have a background check done on yourself and then go to the DA of that county. Use discretion and good attitude, good luck.

tournament fisher

people never realize how important their record is until they mess it up. i did as a kid and it took me 20 years to get it cleared. i wish i would have used my head for something other than a hat rack. i tell my friends now that it is so important to keep your record clean and always obey the law. you can get in more crap in 5 minutes than you can get out of in a lifetime. think before you act. every action has a consequence.

Sterlo58

people never realize how important their record is until they mess it up. i did as a kid and it took me 20 years to get it cleared. i wish i would have used my head for something other than a hat rack. i tell my friends now that it is so important to keep your record clean and always obey the law. you can get in more crap in 5 minutes than you can get out of in a lifetime. think before you act. every action has a consequence.

Yep...those acts of violence that come from moments of uncontrolled anger will haunt you. The law does not look favorably on issuing CWP in these cases. Perhaps there is a good reason for that.

jason4445

That is what I was going to say- with your past history maybe having a gun is something you would be far better off without. DV and whapping a car with a bat is something you can get probation for - stuff you do with a gun in a rage of temper is not.