What's so dangerous about giving out VIN to prospective car buyers???

DannyW

Looking to buy used SUV, preferably from a private party. Messaged 7 sellers with questions about the vehicle and requested the VIN. I need the VIN number for a CarFax report, and I can also use it to get an accurate list of what features and options the car had when it was manufactured.

So far, I have received responses on the questions I asked (mostly) but not a single one has provided a VIN. Some have flat out refused.

Why???

I suppose you can do some nefarious things with a VIN, maybe, but if I was one of those people I wouldn't be one-by-one messaging for that information. I would be going to a mall parking lot and getting them by the hundreds. The VIN is clearly accessible under the windshield and even etched on windows of some cars. There is nothing secret about a vehicle's VIN.

You want to sell a vehicle and I want to buy one. Yet you refuse to provide me with one of the most helpful pieces of information.

:huh::huh::huh:

specialk

There are so many scams these days i can see where some might be reluctant...but you are right, its out where anyone can see.....

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
It is like those nut cases covering up their license plate when they post a picture. WHAT??? everyone in the world sees that as you drive down the road. Are you really concerned that someone might see it on the immernets?

sinclair1

It’s strange that in a Shelby cobra forum I am a member, they put the Vin for everyone to see which car you own. Some are worth millions.
I think some of the sketchy title Loan companies will give loans without seeing the car, but you can get 100 vins in a parking garage in 15 minutes?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
With today’s technology - if you have the vin number and a dirty Locksmith you can steal any car you want.

Friend of mine had her car stolen last year. She had both fobs. They found the car 3 weeks later. It wasn’t broken into.

Vin number will tell a Locksmith how to make a key to open the door. It also gives a ton of information on the car. And on hers, they’d bypassed the push start.

When we went to get the car they pulled it around front for her and she had both fobs in her purse. She asked how they crank it and the folks there said just pushing in the push start. Her fobs wouldn’t lock or unlock the car either.

I now keep my vin covered with a business card.

Tight Lines

If you sell a car on eBay (I have) you have to post the VIN or at least you used to. Most of the time it is listed in the ad so you can do what you are trying to do.

My guess is that most folks you are messaging are scams. Are the deals too good to be true? Where are you checking? FB Marketplace?

DannyW

With today’s technology - if you have the vin number and a dirty Locksmith you can steal any car you want.

Friend of mine had her car stolen last year. She had both fobs. They found the car 3 weeks later. It wasn’t broken into.

Vin number will tell a Locksmith how to make a key to open the door. It also gives a ton of information on the car. And on hers, they’d bypassed the push start.

When we went to get the car they pulled it around front for her and she had both fobs in her purse. She asked how they crank it and the folks there said just pushing in the push start. Her fobs wouldn’t lock or unlock the car either.

I now keep my vin covered with a business card.
If this is the case, why aren't thousands/millions of cars stolen each day?

VIN easily accessible in any parking lot. Would be huge issue.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
If this is the case, why aren't thousands/millions of cars stolen each day?

VIN easily accessible in any parking lot. Would be huge issue.
I don’t know the full details on that^^. I only know what happened to her car. It had to be reprogrammed and a “module” plugged in had to be removed.

I just keep my vin covered. And cars are stolen regularly, don’t know how many per day.

Last edited:

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I don’t know the full details on that^^. I only know what happened to her car. It had to be reprogrammed and a “module” plugged in had to be removed.

I just keep my vin covered. And cars are stolen regularly, don’t know how many per day.
This is why I don't own any vehicle with a computer on it.

660griz

Could be but, I would bet they used an RFID scanner to grab her fob signal. Reproduce and unlock at will. You can then take the entire car to a dealer to get another one made and synced to the car. Some light reading https://surelockkey.com/blog/can-a-...ansmitter, they,you've recklessly left inside.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
To survive an EMP ya probably need something prior to 1980 so, not far off. :)
gotta go back further than that. the 80's had electronic ignition in them. You will have to have something with a point fired ignition.
Even my 65 has been upgraded to an electronic ignition and wouldn't work

660griz

gotta go back further than that. the 80's had electronic ignition in them. You will have to have something with a point fired ignition.
Even my 65 has been upgraded to an electronic ignition and wouldn't work
I said.."prior to..." :)

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I said.."prior to..." :)
wasn't Chrysler the first to come out with electronic ignition? I was thinking around 75 or so. I know by the 80's everyone was using it. Now they are even making the Chevy HEI distributors to fit small block Ford engines. The great thing about those HEI units is the coil and all the firing electronics are enclosed in the cap. It makes them real easy to change out

660griz

I had a 1970 Nova. Straight six. EMP proof. :)