Arrowhead hunters

Al33

I thought I would share a tool I made a few years ago I have found to be very useful. I call it my flint-flicker.;) I took a 1/2 inch diameter by 4 inch long piece of stainless steel tubing and cut it so I could form a claw. I mounted it on a stick much like a walking stick and put a pin through pre drilled holes to secure it.

Using this tool saves me a lot of bending over to investigate things such as leaves or dead wood that look like flint or a point. I simply tap on the suspect object first to make sure it is rock and not wood. I discovered not only will it tell me if it is rock, wood, or leaf, but when it strikes flint it feels and sounds different than most other rocks. I suspect because it is stainless steel this has something to do with that. Even so, when I see an edge or shape that looks like a part of a point, I can flick it over without bending over to pick it up and this usually tells me if it is merely another rock. Of course, if it not obvious or still suspect I will pick it up for closer inspection.

Anyway, it works too good not to share it so maybe some of you artifact hunters might want to make one for yourself. Sure saves the old back.:) If not, then I apologise for wasting your time.:D

The overall lenth of the tool is 46 inches.

Attachments

• flintflicker1.jpg
    flintflicker1.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 441

Al33

Here is another view for showing the shape.

Attachments

• flintflicker2.jpg
    flintflicker2.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 440

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Purty neat trick Al.

Glenn

Looks wicked....

I know a guy that uses a heavy gauge steel wire that he pokes in the ground. Just pokes around until he hits something hard and then digs.

gadeerwoman

Ingenious idea Al. Looks like it might do some damage on a snake too if need be. I use a little gadget I picked up at BigLots a lot. It is a little lightweight 3 pronged rake type thingy that retracts into @ 2 foot yet extends to @ 40". I usually have one strapped on the atv and one in the truck. Think they were about $3. Handy for digging in the dirt a little, dispatching a rattler, or moving small limbs at times when you don't want to stick your hand down, yet takes up little room. A little cord added keeps it slung across my shoulders out of the way until I need it.

Auchumpkee Creek Assassin

Gone But Not Forgotten
i took a golf club, someone gave me, took a hacksaw and sawed the head off, took a small 6" piece of stainless rod, and bent it 90 deg. and expoxyed it in the end of the golf shaft, works good.........AL33........i will make a curved point one like yours too.....good idea.........ACA