Absolute max seed rate for wheat/rye?

Back_40

I have been planting feed wheat (could not find seed wheat) and Abruzzi rye and going with apprx 120lbs/acre (60/60 wheat/rye) but the plots where not as thick as I had hoped last year. Lots of birds including turkey on this property. Ph is appx 6.2.6.5 in all plots and fertlized T13 at 200/acre. Would increasing the seed rate to 200lbs/acre be too much? Browse pressure from deer is very heavy so I am not looking for the wheat and rye to head out.

win280

At a germ rate at 80% you are good on your seed rate if all your seed germinates.With lack of rain,birds,proper planting depth all being issues I would increase total seed rate to 150 lbs acre.But more important is putting 400 lbs fert/acre or you will not have quality food for the deer. It should germinate and grow but not be as nutritious.JMO.Ramen noddles/homemade chicken noodle soup???

drawedback

At a germ rate at 80% you are good on your seed rate if all your seed germinates.With lack of rain,birds,proper planting depth all being issues I would increase total seed rate to 150 lbs acre.But more important is putting 400 lbs fert/acre or you will not have quality food for the deer. It should germinate and grow but not be as nutritious.JMO.Ramen noddles/homemade chicken noodle soup???

I agree, I would up the fertilizer. You might also go heavier on the rye, abruzzi rye will grow faster than the wheat, giving your deer more tonnage of forage.

redlevel

Are you planting with a drill? If you are spreading and harrowing or dragging, you might up that seed rate to 200 lb per acre. If you are drilling, did you have the germination rate checked on that feed wheat?

Back_40

Are you planting with a drill? If you are spreading and harrowing or dragging, you might up that seed rate to 200 lb per acre. If you are drilling, did you have the germination rate checked on that feed wheat?

Broadcast and drag. No I did not check germination rate on the feed wheat last year. This year I am buying my wheat and rye from a farmer. I will check the germination ratemyself and broadcast at 200/acre if below 70%. Also plan on going with T19 instead of T13 at 300/acre.

I was mainly concerned if I could plant so thick that it would stunt the growth due to competition for nutrients and water.

Core Lokt

You can stunt growth by planting to much.

Yep.

I broadcast 100lb on an acre plot at the house and it's almost to much. If you can use a drill you can cut your poundage in half. I was amazed at how little seed it took the first time I used a drill.

here is the plot behind the house.

downsize-1.jpg

clover.jpg

Here is a plot at least twice the size of the one at the house I used a drill and 100lbs of seed on. I didn't get pics of it toward the end of the season but it was about half the height as the house plot.

chrisbuck2jpg.jpg

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Broadcast and drag. No I did not check germination rate on the feed wheat last year. This year I am buying my wheat and rye from a farmer. I will check the germination ratemyself and broadcast at 200/acre if below 70%. Also plan on going with T19 instead of T13 at 300/acre.

I was mainly concerned if I could plant so thick that it would stunt the growth due to competition for nutrients and water.

200lb/acre should be about right for broadcast and drag. T19 might be too much nitrogen up front.

I use T13 and then when everything is up good come back and "dust" it with 34-0-0.