Habitat questions

Possum

Banned
Last year I applied for financial aid through the NRCS EQIP program. I met with a biologist last week and he called back this evening with some suggestions.
I have 4 very small food plots on my place of only about 1/8-1/4 acre each. I told him I really wanted to clear out and burn around these plots to increase them to about 1/2 acre each.
He said the only help NRCS could offer with that is paying $165 per acre towards the brush clearing and $125 per acre for planting native grass. This means I would get about $300 financial aid and the brush clearing would probably cost me about 3 times that. If I sign the EQIP contract, the brush area cleared MUST remain in native grass for a period of time (I think 10 years). So I could not plant food plot blend seeds on the cleared areas but I could continue planting my little 1/8-1/4 acre spots in whatever I want.
First question I have is, is it worth it? Me having to go majority out of pocket anyways, would I be better off forgetting the $300 financial aid and just paying for it all so that I can plant whatever I want? The native grasses that would be planted is a mixture of switchgrass, blue stem, partridge pea, and other natives. Would these natives still be attractive to wildlife? I know deer will eat some of them but if I really want to draw deer in to hunt, would you say I'd be a whole lot better off planting the usual wheat, oats and rye?
Second question involves herbicide.
The woods are a mixture of pine and oaks but mainly 8 year old junk trees like maple, sweet gum, poplar and other low value. He suggested aerial herbicide to kill off all broadleafs and keeping three 5 acre tracts in a 3 year burn rotation.
The financial aid would pay about 100% of the ariel herbicide and burning cost. My concern is killing off all the mature, nut producing oaks. Many are probably 40 yrs old. I really don't like the thought of killing off these big oaks to create better browse. But wanted to know others opinions on this.
Thanks

Possum

Banned
I just looked over my aerial map again this evening and I think I've identified a 10 acre area that could be sprayed with herbicide from helicopter that wouldn't take out any of the mature oaks. This area is all mature pine seed trees and 10 ft tall scrub trees like maple.
I may have trouble finding an aerial applicator that will do only a ten acre tract?
But from what I'm told by forestry, aerial herbicide in this area costs about $50-$60 per acre (maybe more for really small tracts) and the EQIP plan pays me $85 per acre to have it done.
EQIP pays .28 cents a foot for firebreaks and GA forestry charges $90 per hour. I'm thinking that I should come out little to no out of pocket to do this.
So after thinking more about this tonight, I'm leaning towards doing just the herbicide in the no oak area, firebreaks and do my own brush clearing/food plot expansion since it only payed $300 towards it.
Unless someone who has experience with this tells me I'm going wrong???
I am curious to hear if native grasses would be any benefit over planted food plots?