What are the longest spurs you have had on a bird?

Dupree

My longest was just shy of 1 1/2". Killed a good many between 1 1/4" and 1 3/8".

Gut_Pile

I've killed two with 1 3/8.

FWIW, I have helped put on two turkey contest and I have measured one turkey with 1 1/2 spurs. They are very rare.

Look at all the turkeys killed in the GON turkey challenge each year and look how many birds were entered (136) and how many had 1 1/2 spurs (4). They are few and far between

Definitely a trophy and something to be proud of when you get a chance to own a pair yourself

gobblingghost

A buddy of mine killed one in Fl with me and he had 2" spurs.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Well, Thats a deep subject! Several
Heres one and they are hard to come by! I have 1 longer but I would have to find the pic ! I'm not going to look no time soon!
This pic was used as a example on how to measure a spur last year!
I was not in the T/C last year because My wife wanted to play and I helped her.

picture.php

hoppie

1 1/2 and he is roosted on my wall. Most other birds have been 1 1/8ish. Brother has a 1 3/4 that is on the wall, won turkey contest and officially measured for doubters. Will try and get a pic. Crazy thing was there were 3 birds, he killed two and the other had 1 1/2.

six

1 3/4" twice. One Osceola and a Bama eastern.

sman

1 1/2" in 1991. Killed one in 97 that had one spur that was 1 1/2". Haven't killed anything over 1 1/4" in the last 15 seasons.

sman

I did see these this year. Teenage boys first turkey.

Attachments

• IMAG0490_zpsc09998a4.jpg
    IMAG0490_zpsc09998a4.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 899

Smokepoler

Killed a bird this year had 1 1/2 on one and a nub on the other.

Nannyman

1 9/16 measured by the plantation I was on.
I helped a buddy this year kill 1 5/8. We called him obnoxious. 300gobbles morning and evening.