Help with 1st year food plot

rocket46

Planted some left over eagle beans with some ICP appox. a month ago for a archery kill spot(coffee co.). Plan on putting in my fall plots next week. Have 3 plots appox. 1/3 ac. each( have limed and fert) The deer killed 1 plot but didn't get on the other two like before.(destroyed the beans I planted in june). Here's my question--- The beans and peas are up about 12"-14" and looking good-- the beans are suppose to stay until 1st frost? I plan on using tecomonte 50/50 max attract--has oats,triticale,vetch,evergreen peas,chickory and 1 annual clover(1/4" planting depth) Better to disc under the beans and prep with a new seed bed or can I broadcast the 50/50 over the existing beans to save on some work time?

1gr8bldr

Planted some left over eagle beans with some ICP appox. a month ago for a archery kill spot(coffee co.). Plan on putting in my fall plots next week. Have 3 plots appox. 1/3 ac. each( have limed and fert) The deer killed 1 plot but didn't get on the other two like before.(destroyed the beans I planted in june). Here's my question--- The beans and peas are up about 12"-14" and looking good-- the beans are suppose to stay until 1st frost? I plan on using tecomonte 50/50 max attract--has oats,triticale,vetch,evergreen peas,chickory and 1 annual clover(1/4" planting depth) Better to disc under the beans and prep with a new seed bed or can I broadcast the 50/50 over the existing beans to save on some work time?
The seeds in your mix have gave you an average planting depth. Some need deeper and some shallow. But they will come up at 1/4. Your smaller seeds, chic/clover, could be broadcast on top and rolled in, but the others need more depth than an overseed. You would not get 1/4 a stand. I had this delima last year. Decided to let my beans stay till frost. After that, I had nothing. I should have gave up 3 weeks for the many months that the other afforded. If you have already purchased your seed, then I would plow and do it right. That mix has the potential to carry your deer through the hard part of winter

rocket46

Thanks for the info--- Is there any problem with just discing under the beans or should I hit them with some round-up first. Looks like I won't be able to plant until 10/3-10/7

1gr8bldr

Thanks for the info--- Is there any problem with just discing under the beans or should I hit them with some round-up first. Looks like I won't be able to plant until 10/3-10/7
Roundup not needed

Latest posts